Windows 8

Hi does the new Congo 6.3 work on the new Windows 8 released today.

I was thinking of going to Win 8 but not if I carnt use the offline.

Carl

Parents
  • Hi Carl,

We have not completed any formal testing of Windows 8 for use with any ETC software. I would not expect it to be compatible with Windows RT, but may work on other versions. If you do upgrade, please let us know if you run into any quirks.

Thanks,

Kirk

• Just to clarify - it definitely will not run under "Windows 8 RT".

This is because the "RT" version of Windows 8 is a mobile OS for tablets and phones, like iOS and Android.
    It uses the ARM processor, like iPad and most Android tablets instead of the x86 processor.
    Secondly, rather like iOS devices, Windows 8 RT devices can only run software purchased/downloaded via Microsoft's new Windows 8 app store.

The full 'desktop' versions of Windows 8 run on the same x86 processors that your current desktop does, and does allow you to install software acquired outside their app store.
    According to Microsoft these x86 versions of Windows 8 should run existing Windows 7 applications, however as Kirk said, we haven't done formal testing on this edition yet.

• Just to clarify - it definitely will not run under "Windows 8 RT".

This is because the "RT" version of Windows 8 is a mobile OS for tablets and phones, like iOS and Android.
    It uses the ARM processor, like iPad and most Android tablets instead of the x86 processor.
    Secondly, rather like iOS devices, Windows 8 RT devices can only run software purchased/downloaded via Microsoft's new Windows 8 app store.

The full 'desktop' versions of Windows 8 run on the same x86 processors that your current desktop does, and does allow you to install software acquired outside their app store.
    According to Microsoft these x86 versions of Windows 8 should run existing Windows 7 applications, however as Kirk said, we haven't done formal testing on this edition yet.

Children
No Data
Related