Renamed channels: Next/Last

I just renamed my entire moving light rig in a way that makes more sense to me than before--basically I reversed it from left to right and grouped fixtures by type, instead of having a long string of different types, interspersed--and was glad to see that my old show information still works fine and my Live Attributes display much better this way, which is what I hoped for.

If I understand it right, I really just patched my patch, and the console still uses the actual channel numbers to record and refer to data; the only difference is the channel numbers I use to select the fixtures are now the name numbers, and the board does the translating. Correct me if I'm wrong, that's how it seems to be working. I haven't had the chance to do a lot of programming yet.

Is there a way I can make Next/Last work based on channel name order rather than channel number order? When I select a group of fixtures and hit Next, it focuses (in red) on the lowest channel number, rather than the lowest name number, and that removes some of the nifty functionality of my new system. 

For example, my #1 Electric used to be, simplified, ch 1-16 from SL to SR: ch 5 and 12 were both iris moving heads compared with the rest, which are shutters. Select the Group, hit Next, it'd show you ch1. I've renamed it 1-14 from SR to SL for the shutters and 41-42 for the irises. Select the Group (still fine), hit Next, it shows me ch14. I haven't tried "Select 2nd" or "select Nth" yet or the other select functions, but I assume it'll all still refer to absolute desk channel numbers rather than names? and that would be a bummer. 

I know it's possible I'm trying to have it both ways, but can I?

Parents Reply Children
No Data
Related