RDM

Hi

Unfortunately on my theatre we don't have anything with RDM so I can't say if this a good function but this last week we've got a problem because the RDM function that is:

We've got some strobes from American DJ, S - 1500 / DMX, that always work without any problems with the others versions of software. But now with V6.4 when we use the SPEED/STROBE wheel we can't see any diference between 0 and 255 while it flashes. We thought that strob has some problem so we changed for another and the something happen. At same point we remember if it was the RDM Discovery function so we went to Console Settings and disable that function but strob still doesn't work has it supose to work. When we went to System Settings - Output tab we saw that RDM was enable, despite it was disable on the Console Settings, and after we disable here the RDM by unchecking the box on DMX 1 and DMX 2, the strob starts work normally. We can now go from the lowest to fast Speed/Strobe.

After this explanation my question is why if we disable the RDM Discovery on the Console Settings the RDM function remains active?? And why this function doesn't allows the good operation of the strob?? We've got some ETC Revolutions that we don't try yet with this version so I don't know if they have any problem with this new version and RDM but I hope that there isn't any problem.

Best regards

Pedro Alves

• Hi,

There are two levels of RDM settings.

1. Low level for each physical port. This turns on/off the RDM discovery on the DMX wire. If you have problems with devices that cannot do proper RDM, this is where you should turn it off, just like you found out.

2. High level in Congo. This turns on/off if RDM devices should be found by the Congo application or not.

I can see the confusion since they both have similar names. We should probably make this more clear in the future.

• Hi Anders

Ok I understand what you wrote but for me it's not logical to have to go to System Settings to disable the RDM function when we've got the RDM Discovery function to enable/disable on Console Settings. The logical part I mean is that if we go to System Settings then is almost as restart the console and if we do that during a rehearsal all the lights will be different when console go on. Maybe I'll be wrong but it's what I think cause I never work with this function and perhaps I'm just a silly boy saying this things.

Pedro Alves

• RDM has 2 main modes, discovery and feedback.

When in discovery it is activly polling for new devices, not something you want during a show, so this is disabled in the normal everyday setup.

RDM in "feedback" mode is fine to run during a show as it'll flag errors and problems for you, but some building setups/equipment physical don't like RDM, thus the console setup option. I.e. something your not going to change on the fly.

Related