Certain attributes follow "on go" while others "in B"

Hi guys,

As the title suggests I am wondering if there is a way to have certain attributes follow the "On Go" Attribute Move and for others to follow the "In B" within the same template or preset.

The reason I am asking is I have a template set up for controlling Resolume and my fade time and clip select attributes are set in beam. When hitting go the cue executes and if the attributes are set to "On Go" the "Clip Select" and "Fade Time" both run at the same time not great if the cue before had the time set to snap and the current cue needs to be 10 seconds as the clip has already fired and realised that the time was set to 0 therefore snapped instead of fading over 10. If the attribute mode was set to "in B" the cue executes and when it completes it perfectly changes the time to the next cues time however also changes the clip select to the next cue as well therefore firing the next clip too early.

Is there a way (e.g. in the template or somewhere else) that when you record a cue it sets "Clip Select" to on go (so as not to fire early) and have "Fade Time" to in B such as it sets the fade time for the next cue after the current cue completes.

I suppose in essence what I am asking is is there a way to have a moving light automark or In B on its zoom but not its focus every time until the cue the focus is in executes.

I hope you all understand, if you need me to clarify please do not hesitate to ask.

Or scrapping all of the above is there a better way to do what I am attempting wihout the use of multiple cues?

Cheers guys!,
Chris

[edited by: weazel91 at 11:18 AM (GMT -6) on Sat, Jul 5 2014]
  • Hi,

Diclaimer...I haven't worked with the resolume.

Two options that I first think of.

1.  Use the attribute time for the preset to make those attributes time .1

2.  If you always want them to not fade in, you can edit the fixture template and check the "snap" column for those attributes.  With the attributes set to snap, they will ignore the fade time and snap to that value when the preset is activated.

With what you described, I would use option 2.

Let me know if this works for you!

Take care,

John

• HI John!

Thanks for your reply.

Solution 1 isn't ideal, would work, but that would mean that clips are fired late. I know 0.1 seconds doesn't sound a lot but I would rather when I hit "Go" the clips are fired as soon after as they can.

Solution 2 again would help however if Cue 1 had a snap "Transition TIme" (NOTE: Not the time of the cue) and fired clip 1 and cue 2 set transition time to 10 seconds and fired clip 2, clip 2 would snap instead as the Transition TIme was already set to snap before starting to fade.

Thanks for your input tho!

Any other solutions or ideas are greatly appreciated!

Chris

• Hello

I use Modul8 and Cobalt in DMX and I think there is the same problem. I use default beam time = 0.01" to have snap change like speed for playing video with no speed up to the starting.

Resolume and Modul8 convert DMX like MIDI event and change for example page and media need a little time for your media server to do the new page load then change media, your computer need delay time to do actions with his real possibilities.

When I do change page and change layer's level in the new page, if my mediaserver need a little time to preload information about layers, I must done 2 cues with wait 0.1 : one for change page then one to adjust level of the new layers.

• If you have parameters like "Media Select" that should never fade, then it's best to tick the "snap" option in the template.
    These will snap at the beginning of a move.
    - Templates in the library do this when it's certain that it should never fade, it's unticked when you might want to fade them.
    (Though as the Resolume is customisable you're probably not using the library templates)

You can also use per-parameter delay and fade times, if you want to put it all into one Preset.
    - To see and edit these use [Format] & [Down_Arrow] on an attributes display.

You can then have a delay of Zero for the "must happen first" and then increasing delays for the "must happen second/third/fourth" etc.

(Although I am surprised to hear of a media server that can't be "marked" in one go before bringing up the layer master.)

• Hi Richard!

Good to hear from you!

I have made a template for Resolume and have the "Media Select" parameter set as snap, but as you can understand in a show environment I would ideally like clips starting as soon as rather than 0.1-0.3 seconds later, not ideal when all videos are sync'd with music.

I have had a look at per-parameter delay and fade times within the attributes display window but again poses the same problem as above.

Within Resolume you have a Master output, A master output per layer and you can fire clips on individual layers or whole columns. I can't see a way to "Mark" a clip before firing it within the next cue. I have attached the DMX Auto Map sheet that they provide to see if you can see anything that I am missing.

Cheers!

Chris

• While the image isn't readable (and isn't enough anyway, media servers in particular require a complete manual to make a useful template), Cobalt 7.1.0 already has the "Auto Map" Resolume v4 template in the built-in library (v10.3.1).

"Automark" will move all non-intensity parameters to their new values at the end of the preceding fade if the Intensity is currently at zero and will come on in the next step.
    The check and pre-positioning (marking) move is done at the moment the Sequence loads the next Preset is loaded into B.

Automark assumes that nothing potentially visible will happen until the Intensity comes up.

It sounds like Resolume doesn't do this, so you can use the "Mark" level to pre-position everything except "Play Media" in the preset before it should start.

The next Preset than has the "Start Playing Media" values, whatever that may be.

- The DMX protocol itself is "stateless" (there is only "the levels right now"), so anything that requires a specific sequence of values to get the desired result will require some care when programming.

Some general hints, (some of which I'm sure you already know):

• 0.01s is a definite zero-time.
      • "0" is a special value that means "use the default time".
      • If there's no attribute or FCB time the attribute will use the step "In" time.
    • Automark uses the "target" timings for the pre-positioning/marking movements.
      • Set any per-attribute timings you need during Marking in the same Preset that has the target values recorded.
    • If you are using "Record Attributes Mode: Active", you can use the "Mark" intensity level to record all parameters.
    • Automark is available as a Step and Per-Channel/Per-Decimal-Channel setting.
    • Automark considers the "Mark" level to be "On".
      • With Automark on:
        A channel at the "Mark" level in the next step will pre-position.
        A channel already at the "Mark" level will not be moved by Automark.

[edited by: Richard at 6:15 AM (GMT -6) on Mon, Jul 7 2014]
Related