Excel - Channel Database

Hi all can someone explain an easy way to layout my Excel sheet for channel Databse (A,B,C,D). Or to be cheacky can someone email me there Default template !!!!!!! :p  - cbkprod@hotmail.com

Im using WYG as well can i up load these to this ????

Cheers in advance. Carl 

Parents
  • Hi Carl.

Here is an Excel sheet and a .txt file that I quickly put together so you could see how it works. The Excel file is the source of the data. To get the data into the channel database in Congo, it needs to be either as a tab or comma separated text (.txt) file. I suggest using Tab separated. So in Excel when you have the sheet open, you can select Save As and in the Save as dialog change the file type to be "Text (tab separated) (*.txt)" (I don't have an English Excel so it may be called something slightly different) and save the file. What you will get it a text file that look like the attached .txt file. Now this file can be imported to Congo. Put it on a USB memory (or Plays folder on Offline) and in Congo go to Browser > File > Import from > USB memory/Play Archive and select the text file. You will then get a popup where you need to define which of the columns you wish to import. Channel column is of course mandatory so Congo knows which text to associate with which channel. You can also check to box "Use column headers in Channel Database" so your headers will be named according to the column headers (and not Text A, B, C and D).

You can also export this data from WYG, if you already have everything written there. In Data, choose Export from the menu and select file type "Tabbed Text (*.txt)" and save file. It seems that WYG exports all data it has to the text file, choose what you want to import of it to Congo.
    If you are using WYG with Congo, WYG's Spot number should match Congo's channel number, so select Spot column for the Channel in the Import text wizard.

It's good to see that the column used for Channel is what the list is sorted by.

Does this answer your question?

EDIT: Now with attachments. Excel and txt files are in the zip.

Oskar

[edited by: okrogell at 8:55 AM (GMT -6) on Thu, Feb 15 2007]
    Fixture list example.zip
  • The Excel Save As type option is called:

"Text (Tab delimited) (*.txt)"

in English versions of Excel.

For those of you who like open source software, OpenOffice Calc can also do this - File > Save As... and choose "Text CSV (.csv)"
    When you save, choose "{Tab}" as the "Field delimiter", and make sure the "Text delimiter" box is empty, as it defaults to the " character.

• The Excel Save As type option is called:

"Text (Tab delimited) (*.txt)"

in English versions of Excel.

For those of you who like open source software, OpenOffice Calc can also do this - File > Save As... and choose "Text CSV (.csv)"
    When you save, choose "{Tab}" as the "Field delimiter", and make sure the "Text delimiter" box is empty, as it defaults to the " character.

Children
Related