Sound to Light

We are running a school leaving prom in our theatre and will have to have various chases and so forth running for a long time. On the back of our desk it has to connectors marked "Audio in" and "Audio out". I can find no reference to them in the manual. Can these be used to run the desk on a sound to light mode or equivalent so we don't have to constantly monitor the speeds to go with the mood?
Parents Reply Children
  • That's all its for right now ;)

(and to output the sounds for helpfile videos, and alerts etc to a

exterior speakers/headphones)

• Hi all,

this is really not /that/ important to me, since I think there's more important stuff to be done for the development team.

But I just wanted to let you know that for one of our upcoming ballet productions I'd also like to be able to trigger sequence steps by the audio input of (let's say) the snare drum mic. – Once you have live performances you cannot use time code anymore and it would be great to have a possibility to follow the sound nonetheless!

Best,

Mario

• Hi Mario,

how should this be implemented? The Congo Go button would react to incoming audio line? Everytime, the drum gets hit,

and the sound enters the console, then a sequence would be activated? What happens if the drummer hits the microphone

by mistake as he is adjusting his stand - this would also cause the sequence to run? Using this implementation, there are too

many chances that when the drummer fumbles around that the console reacts with a new sequence.

Or did you have something else in mind?

• How about triggering a macro? For me, I would trigger a sub-bump but setting up a macro lets the user choose.

Don't forget we would need some level and frequency sensitivity. I don't know how much software work it would tack, but "light organs" are very old and the concepts are well thought out.

• In general and in addition to what Rick said about handling sound signals, it would also be helpful to have the setting of a "down time" where incoming signals would be ignored.

In fact I was generally interested if one could connect the rate of an fx channel or a sequence in chase mode to sound input.

So if the fx channel would be at zero – or the linked master was not linked yet, nothing would happen if the drummer adjusts his microphone during the performance – which I guess should be done before/during rehearsals and not during a show ;-)

Mario

[edited by: mdaszenies at 1:12 PM (GMT -6) on Mon, Nov 29 2010]
Related