Midi Time code

I am looking for an easy/ cheap way of controlling the congo using the MTC functions. Does anyone have an idea for a cheap way of syncing a CD deck or PC with cd playback to the Congo Jr using midi cables? The cheapest CD deck i can find with that kind of functionality is around $800. My theater is predominatly a Dance venue so this function will be extremely valuable. Thank you.

Mike

Parents
  • I've never seen a 'consumer-level' CD player output any form of timecode, so use of MTC will be impossible with those. It's kind of odd, as CDs fundamentally work via a disc-level timecode (it counts from slightly under zero to roughly 70 minutes, and there's generally a 3-second gap between tracks)

PC playback software that includes MTC probably exists, although it's not something I've looked for.

As an alternative workaround until you find suitable hard/software that's within budget, you could use the Learn Alerts function in Congo to 'fake' it per track.

1. Build the sequence for a CD track.
    2. Set up your In/Out times - it'll be difficult to change these later.
    3. Don't set any wait times.
    4. Turn on "Learn Alerts" in Settings
    5. Goto the first step in your sequence
    6. Hit [Go] and the play button on the CD deck at the same time.
    7. Now hit [Go] at the relevant times throughout the track.
    8. Turn off "Learn Alerts"
    9. Hit # [Seq] to open your sequence in a Sequence List
    10. Now look for the "WFA" column - it's full of A's for 'Alert times', and the column to the right has various times in it.
    11. Select the first cell in the column, hit [Column] to select them all.
    12. Hit [Modify] until the column shows entirely W's
    13. Hit [Esc] to close
    14. Now Goto the first step in your sequence
    15. Re-cue the CD player
    16. Hit [Go] and Play at the same time again
    17. Sit back and watch the pretty lightshow

It's a really sneaky way to cheat, but it's a pain to edit as changing any timings at all will cause it to go out-of-sync.

It also doesn't sync as well as timecode, as it's only accurate to 0.1sec intervals per step. For short tracks this generally isn't a problem, but does become so on longer tracks or if there are any critical hits in the music.

[edited by: Richard at 7:20 AM (GMT -6) on Thu, May 08 2008]
  • I've never seen a 'consumer-level' CD player output any form of timecode, so use of MTC will be impossible with those. It's kind of odd, as CDs fundamentally work via a disc-level timecode (it counts from slightly under zero to roughly 70 minutes, and there's generally a 3-second gap between tracks)

PC playback software that includes MTC probably exists, although it's not something I've looked for.

As an alternative workaround until you find suitable hard/software that's within budget, you could use the Learn Alerts function in Congo to 'fake' it per track.

1. Build the sequence for a CD track.
    2. Set up your In/Out times - it'll be difficult to change these later.
    3. Don't set any wait times.
    4. Turn on "Learn Alerts" in Settings
    5. Goto the first step in your sequence
    6. Hit [Go] and the play button on the CD deck at the same time.
    7. Now hit [Go] at the relevant times throughout the track.
    8. Turn off "Learn Alerts"
    9. Hit # [Seq] to open your sequence in a Sequence List
    10. Now look for the "WFA" column - it's full of A's for 'Alert times', and the column to the right has various times in it.
    11. Select the first cell in the column, hit [Column] to select them all.
    12. Hit [Modify] until the column shows entirely W's
    13. Hit [Esc] to close
    14. Now Goto the first step in your sequence
    15. Re-cue the CD player
    16. Hit [Go] and Play at the same time again
    17. Sit back and watch the pretty lightshow

It's a really sneaky way to cheat, but it's a pain to edit as changing any timings at all will cause it to go out-of-sync.

It also doesn't sync as well as timecode, as it's only accurate to 0.1sec intervals per step. For short tracks this generally isn't a problem, but does become so on longer tracks or if there are any critical hits in the music.

[edited by: Richard at 7:20 AM (GMT -6) on Thu, May 08 2008]
Children
No Data
Related