USB update using toy USB memory sticks

Today I tried updating a full-size Congo console from 4.2.0 to 4.2.1, using a "Memorex Traveldrive" USB memory stick, and had no luck following the normal update procedure because the "Software Update" button was greyed out.  

When I connect the Memorex Traveldrive to my computer, and then open My Computer, I see two new drives appear - the first is Drive E: which is labelled "U3 System Files" and contains an .exe and autorun.inf files (which obviously causes all the friggen' popups to appear when I connect the thing!! aargh!), and a second drive which is Drive I: (my next available drive ID - in Congo it was F:), which I can actually store files to normally. As a factory-scum hoax user, I put the SOFTWARE folder and congo.exe on this second drive, and Congo did not seem to see the file. Is this because it was on a drive other than E:? 
Anyone seen similar problems before? 
FWIW I upgraded the console by pointing to the congo.exe file directly in the Advanced Settings window. 
Thanks. 
Alex Mair
Jands Pty Ltd

[edited by: Alex Mair at 9:44 PM (GMT -6) on Tue, Mar 13 2007] [edited by: Alex Mair at 9:43 PM (GMT -6) on Tue, Mar 13 2007] [edited by: Alex Mair at 9:42 PM (GMT -6) on Tue, Mar 13 2007]
  • That's one of those newfangled memory sticks that load their own software to "help the user." I suggest (as a computer guy more than a lighting guy) that you try with
    a generic drive without the U3 logo on the box

[edited by: Arel at 7:56 PM (GMT -6) on Wed, Mar 14 2007] Appended approporate Tags
  • ugh yes - FYI though, you can uninstall the U3 software and it will behave as a normal memory stick. I bought a 'U3' drive (it was on sale) and once I figured out what was going on uninstalled the U3 software and voila, normal memory stick. I run different OS's at home (not just Windows) and once I uninstalled the U3 gak I liked my memory stick a whole lot more. There's info on the U3 site: http://www.u3.com/uninstall/

cheers,

Alex (ETC IT department) 

[edited by: afortney at 7:47 AM (GMT -6) on Wed, Mar 14 2007]
Related