DMX In - Congo jr v5 + ETCNet2 DMX Node - Two Port

Normal 0 21 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:Standardowy; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

Hi All ;-)

There is Configuration as in Post Title. Congo jr with software v5. Everything configured (ETC Net 2 enabled, IP addresses, ...). There is external console connected to the ETCNet2 DMX Node and Inputs DMX signal to the Congo jr.

If I move some faders on external console up then on Congo I can see proper levels. If I move them down the levels are not going down. The question is why and how to solve it.

Additional information - if I move the 20th master (Grand master for DMX input) down to zero and up to full, then level are proper (some kind of refresh fader ;-))

I would be really thankful advice or better solution how to make it work properly.

Thanks and Greetings

Adam

• It sounds like you are sending EDMX (ETCNet2 DMX data) from the console on the same universe number as you are receiving DMX input through the node. The EDMX protocol automatically handles multiple sources on the same universe using HTP (highest level takes precendence). This will create a "feedback loop" for the levels, like you describe it.

Use a separate, non-used universe number for the DMX input and it should work fine.

• Thank You for Your answer.

Anders Ekvall:

Use a separate, non-used universe number for the DMX input and it should work fine.

The Congo is 1024 channels version and 2 universes are already used for theatre installation.

So how to make it work on Congo?

Adam

• Set the input you are using on the Two-Port to Universe 10.

Now, in Congo > Welcome Screen > System Settings > Output > DMX Input, set the Universe Number to 10, and the Map To Channel to whatever it's supposed to be.

Ta da!

The 1024 output limit applies to outputs, not inputs.

It's also a limit of 2 Universes - you can actually map theses output universes to any network universe between 1 and 64 (ETCNet2), or 1 and 255 (ETCNet3/Streaming ACN)

• Hello Richard, thank You for answering.

This You wrote about works, but there is still one step missing - what to do next?

How to patch/configure relation between DMX In and channels used in the Congo play in order that the decrease of channel level in DMX In signal (eg 10 universe) will decrease channel level in first universe. I mean how to omit the "Loop" Anders wrote above.

My first idea after reading Your answer was to patch outputs range 4609..5120 (10th universe) with channels range 1..512. Does it omits the "Loop" problem? What should be the proper solution?

Adam
  • Hi again,

I got a call from my friend. He can see in Congo only 1024 outputs (two universes) in:

- Output List (Mofify & "O")

- Browser > Patching > Settings and Tools > Output List

How to use the DMX In on outputs 4609..5120, patch/configure them as user has no acces to them?

Adam

• In answer to your direct question - You don't use DMX Input on Outputs, because an Input is not an Output.

I think you've misunderstood what DMX Input does, and how Ethernet DMX works.

I've looked at the video you've sent, and this confirmed that you have done what Anders and I mentioned above, and put the Two Port DMX onto Universe 2, while Congo also outputs Universe 2, and listens to Universe 2.

DMX Input allows an external DMX controller to control the Intensity of 512 Congo Desk Channels.

If you map the DMX input to start at Channel 1001, then DMX address 1 will adjust the intensity of Congo Channel 1001, DMX address 2 adjusts Channel 1002 etc up to DMX address 512 controlling Channel 1512.

Master 20 acts as a Master for that Input, so it can be disabled or faded out.

The actual output from the console is whatever those Desk Channels have been patched to - be that dimmers, moving lights or whatever.
    (Remember that DMX Input only controls Intensity).

For those of you who think in terms of data flow, path is as follows:

DMX From External Device > TwoPort Node > Ethernet (EDMX) Universe Y > Congo
    Congo > Congo Channel Intensity x thru x+511 > Patch for Congo Channels x thru x+511 > Congo Console Output

The problem you've seen is because you've got the Congo Channels patched to the exact same EDMX Universe and address as the DMX Input.

Because EDMX (and sACN) merge all inputs on a given address within a Universe to the highest level from all sources on that Universe, patching both DMX Input and DMX Output to the same Unievrse means that the DMX Input includes the DMX Output of the console - and it feeds back in exactly the way you've described.

Perhaps an analogy will help:

• Think of each universe as a separate room, numbered 1, 2, 3, 4 etc
    • Every DMX output on that universe, whether from Congo or from the Two-Port, is a giant loudspeaker in that room.
    • The Congo DMX Input is a microphone going to the mixer in Congo.
    • You set up the Two-Port to have it's loudspeakers in certain room numbers by setting the vPort/EDMX start for each port.
    • You set up Congo's loudspeakers by using Universe Map - by default these are Universe (room) numbers 1 and 2.
    • The DMX Input Universe option in system settings tells Congo which room to put the microphone into.
    • Master 20 is a 'volume control' for the microphone in Congo's mixer.

Clear so far?

This gives four possible scenarios: 

1. The Microphone is in a different room to all of the Congo and Two-Port's loudspeakers.
      • It hears nothing at all.
    2. The Microphone is in the same room as any of Congo's loudspeakers.
      • It hears itself and start to scream feedback, until you pull down the microphone fader.
    3. The Microphone is in the same room as both a Congo and a Two Port loudspeaker.
      • It hears both the Two Port and Congo.
        1. Initially it hears the Two Port as Congo is outputting zero.
        2. Congo then outputs what it heard from the Two-Port
        3. So the microphone hears itself as well, and screams feedback until you pull down the microphone fader.
    4. The Microphone is in the same room as the Two Port, but not the same room as any Congo loudspeakers.
      • It only hears the Two-Port, so it works.

Does that now makes sense?

Using the above analogy, my suggestion above was as follows:

1. Change the Two Port configuration to put it's loudspeakers into Room 10
    2. Move Congo's Microphone into Room 10
    3. Leave Congo's Loudspeakers in Rooms 1 and 2

If you didn't understand any of the above, don't worry.

Just follow these instructions exactly:

1. Connect a computer to the Two Port node.
    2. Open NCE:
      1. "Connect" and "Get Unbound Nodes"
      2. Change the first DMX port on the Two Port to be an Input, and set the "vPort" of that input to "10"
      3. "Send Config to Nodes"
    3. Check the the Two Port accepted the new configuration using it's display.
    4. Turn on your Congo
    5. At the Welcome Screen, click "System Settings"
    6. Choose the "Outputs" tab
    7. Whithin the "DMX Input" section, do the following:
      1. Set "DMX Input Mode" to "EDMX"
      2. Set "Universe" to "10"
      3. Set "Map To Channel" to "513"
    8. Click "OK"
    9. Now connect everything together and start Congo.

And there you go.

[edited by: Richard at 6:50 AM (GMT -6) on Fri, Aug 01 2008]
  • Thanks a lot, works really great now.

By the way I think it is wise to describe the configuration procedure for inputing DMX in manual. Without Your really good help I don't know how many people will be able to do it.

Greetings,

Adam

Related