Master Editor Issue

Doing well today...

If I open the Master editor and adjust a preset stored on a master, hitting escape will close the editor, put the new values for the channels onto the output of the master but does not alter the original Preset or its other instances.

This is fine -and is good news really, but there is no indication in the LCD panel that the contents of the submaster now differ from the stored preset.

Similarly, if before escaping the Master Editor I press 'Update' or ''Record', the original Preset will be updated but there is no sound or dialogue confirmation box to tell you that this has happened.

This is potentially dangerously confusing.

Richard

Parents
  • Hi,

While it is potentially confusing, knowing it, it can be very powerfull. You can make temporary changes to presets, groups, etc. on the masters without storing the changes to the original content.

Also, dialog boxes are sometimes good, but too many of those quickly become anyoing to powerusers.

Oskar

• Hi Oskar,

I agree that it's a very useful feature (one which we make extensive use of on our current desks!) but I feel quite strongly that there needs to be some indication that the contents of the Submaster differ from the the Preset that was originally stored there. I don't know whether it should flash or have some kind of additonal icon to show that it is different but there needs to be something.

I mention the Dialogue box because that is what you would expect, it's what you get if you were to do the same thing in the Preset editor for example. It need not necessarily require you to confirm your action, but an audiable click and a box telling you that you have done it would, I think, be a good idea as changing a Preset could, potentially, have far-ranging consequences !

Again, the reason for asking this, and some of my other strange questions, is that I'm trying to present the console to occasional users who are not expert in their field and who may only come across it every few weeks. 

Anything to make it more accessible and obvious is an advantage to this type of user -although i take your point that to advanced users this could become painful and slow. Perhaps there could be an option to turn these sorts of Dialogue boxes on or off to satisfy both the new / occasional user and the Super Users ?

Cheers

Richard

[edited by: Richard J at 5:26 AM (GMT -6) on Fri, Apr 06 2007]
  • Hi Oskar,

I agree that it's a very useful feature (one which we make extensive use of on our current desks!) but I feel quite strongly that there needs to be some indication that the contents of the Submaster differ from the the Preset that was originally stored there. I don't know whether it should flash or have some kind of additonal icon to show that it is different but there needs to be something.

I mention the Dialogue box because that is what you would expect, it's what you get if you were to do the same thing in the Preset editor for example. It need not necessarily require you to confirm your action, but an audiable click and a box telling you that you have done it would, I think, be a good idea as changing a Preset could, potentially, have far-ranging consequences !

Again, the reason for asking this, and some of my other strange questions, is that I'm trying to present the console to occasional users who are not expert in their field and who may only come across it every few weeks. 

Anything to make it more accessible and obvious is an advantage to this type of user -although i take your point that to advanced users this could become painful and slow. Perhaps there could be an option to turn these sorts of Dialogue boxes on or off to satisfy both the new / occasional user and the Super Users ?

Cheers

Richard

[edited by: Richard J at 5:26 AM (GMT -6) on Fri, Apr 06 2007]
Children
  • Hi Richard,

I agree with you that some indication of changed and unrecoreded content would be good to have. Probably not anything flashing, but perhaps an extra character on the Master display.. Probably even a dialog box saying changes have been made, update or not update (but keep changes). And yes, consistency is important.

Keep the comments coming.

Oskar :o)
Related