Several questions: Rubberband, move fades, chase fading

Hi,

I have been using the Congo for a year now but have only really been busking it. If anyone can help with the following questions that would be great.

If I have a chase and I masterlink it to a step in a sequence how can I make the chase fade in time with the cue when I hit Go? As you have to do 0 INSERT Masterlink to cancel the chase in the next cue and this just cuts the chase abruptly?

Is it possible to mask or delay attributes specifically in the rubberband function? e.g. I have a master fader move my Mac250 to stage left and colour it blue and put the prism in, but when I fade it out I want the unit to move and the intensity to fade but not see the colour wheel move or prism disengage until the intensity is at 0 when I do want the other attributes to return to their previous state.

Could someone give me some examples of when to use a 'Move Fade' as I am not entirely sure i understand what to use it for.

Similarly examples of using 'Capture' and 'Park'.

Many thanks in advance.

Parents
  • To set upfade/downfade times for Master Links, open the Master Link editor from the Sequence List and set the times you want. "In" time is always used for the fade time to the 'target' percentage.

However, I think that in your case you will want to look at the new Chase Effect and Content Effects in Congo v5. These behave just like moving light channels, so you can fade them in and out with much greater control.

Master Rubberbanding with attrib delays - Unfortunately there's no way to do that.

Move Fade:

I've never needed to use it. The Movefade and Lockfade functions are aimed at people who are used to 'tracking' consoles where you start a move and the move completes 'in time', regardless of what other cues you might trigger in between.

Personally, I use a second playback if I want that kind of function!

Capture:

When you grab a channel and want it to stay where you put it, regardless of the Masters and Main Playback, but might want to 'release' it back into the wild later on.

For example, if a dancer knocks a shinbuster way out of focus, you might want to kill it - but a stage lx might refocus it (close enough!) during a later blackout so you can bring it back.

Park:

When you grab a channel and want it to stay where you put it forever.

For example, you might use Park for moving light power circuits - Park them at full, and then you know you won't accidentally turn them off. However, you retain the ability to kill a wayward mover as you can always Unpark it, or park it at zero.

Another example would be Parking the smoke machine 'off' during rehearsals, so you don't burn all the fluid or set off the smoke alarms.

The two big differences between Park and Capture are as follows:

1. 'Releasing' a Captured channel is a subtle fade.
      • Better for a light that's been knocked out of focus and then put back.
    2. Different recording rules:
      • A 'Captured' channel is recorded at it's captured level if you record or update a Preset.
      • A Parked channel is recorded at the 'virtual' level you give it.

[edited by: Richard at 3:00 PM (GMT -6) on Tue, Oct 14 2008]
  • Excellent descriptions, Richard! I will offer one clarification:

Capturing a channel gives you the ability to "hang onto" a level while playing back the show. So, in a tech rehearsal if you want to make an adjustment to a series of presets live, and you are playing back those presets because it's a tech rehearsal, capturing your adjustments means they won't fade back to their recorded levels every time you press GO, so you can update each preset as you go if you want to. Release allows you to let go of those levels so that they play their recorded levels.

Park is often an emergency function, or a rehearsal function while electricians are working on fixtures while you are otherwise adjusting levels. Parked levels are not recorded into presets at all. They exist "under" the live level so that you can continue working with a channel, but you have the real dimmer/parameter held ("parked") at a special level. I also use park to keep channels from moving at all once set (like the Capture camera in visualization) or for things like you mention - the fog machine, the confetti cannon, the moving light power supply channels, relays. Parked levels are recorded into the play, and when you open the play next time, those parked levels are still parked.

Thanks!

Sarah

• Excellent descriptions, Richard! I will offer one clarification:

Capturing a channel gives you the ability to "hang onto" a level while playing back the show. So, in a tech rehearsal if you want to make an adjustment to a series of presets live, and you are playing back those presets because it's a tech rehearsal, capturing your adjustments means they won't fade back to their recorded levels every time you press GO, so you can update each preset as you go if you want to. Release allows you to let go of those levels so that they play their recorded levels.

Park is often an emergency function, or a rehearsal function while electricians are working on fixtures while you are otherwise adjusting levels. Parked levels are not recorded into presets at all. They exist "under" the live level so that you can continue working with a channel, but you have the real dimmer/parameter held ("parked") at a special level. I also use park to keep channels from moving at all once set (like the Capture camera in visualization) or for things like you mention - the fog machine, the confetti cannon, the moving light power supply channels, relays. Parked levels are recorded into the play, and when you open the play next time, those parked levels are still parked.

Thanks!

Sarah

Children
No Data
Related