Serious Disk Error -Help needed

Hi again,

I'm afraid our Congo has seriously croaked this time.

While being used by a colleague, shortly after running the v4.3 update, it started to report a Corrupt and unreadable volume and asked us to run CHKDISK.

I managed to back up our Play files to USB by going into Settings>Advanced and copying the files from the Plays folder onto my USB stick.

I then tried to re-image the drive from the included re-installer DVD -I've had to use this before and it worked fine.

This time, however, the re-imaging gets about a third of the way through and then hangs with an error box popping up saying:

File Name ?(546)

Output error file to the following location:

A:\GHOSTERR.TXT

Our console is now in a completely unusable state. Any thoughts as to what to try next (I'll be calling Tech Support first thing tomorrow)

Thanks for your help

Richard

Parents
  • Richard -

Sorry to hear about your console.  If your in Europe I'd like you to call the London office ASAP tomorrow morning to make arrangements to get your console in for service.  Tel: +44(0)20 8896 1000 

What's your timeline like?  Are you in production currently?

We'll do whatever we can to get your facility up and running in a timely manor.

-

• HI Benjamin,

Yikes, that sounds a bit more serious than I'd hoped...

I'll give the London boys a call in the morning (we're up in Glasgow) to see if they can talk me through a fix -I'd hoped it was me doing something stupid !

Fortunately we are not currently using the desk live but were due to do so for an intensive week of programmes next week.

I take it it doesn't sound like anything obvious ?

Cheers

Richard

• There are essentially two things this is likely to be - a fried HDD or damaged imaging DVD.

Does the DVD look in good condition, and can it be read by a normal PC's DVD drive?

I have a few spare HDD here, so I can put the Congo image on one and send it up - that should get you up and running almost immediately.
    Give us a call this morning, and we'll get one in the post today.

There shouldn't be any need to bring the console in, as motherboard HDD controller failure should result in abject failure of Ghosting the moment it starts!

• Ok... so the good news is that it looks like it was a mucky DVD disc, closer examinatio9n revealed a sticky patch.

I managed to clean most of it off and the re-imaging ran through to 100%. The console is currently re-booting so hopefully all will be ok.

I'll call it in anyway to see if we can get a replacement DVD disc sent up (although we'll probably have a dozen or so at our new HQ !)

Thanks for your help -and I'll keep you posted.

Just out of interest, where does the CHKDISK app reside ?

Cheers

Richard

• CHKDSK can be run directly from a Command Prompt.

Reply Children
No Data
Related