Congo v5.1 and Net2 or Net3

I have two different venues at which I am using a Congo.  One venue is a Congo and the other is a  Congo Jr.

Both consoles have the Net2 protocol checked and the Net3 protocol unchecked.  If I have the option to have the system be Net3 is this better?

One venue has quite a few Net2 nodes, but also has CEM+.  Is it possible to get alerts at the console from the CEM+?

Thanks,

John

Parents
  • Hi John -

Net3 is only better if you have Net3 equipment on site. :-) In other words, it's a different set of protocols, so if you have only Net2 Nodes, Net3 won't be understood by them and it will only be extra data on the network taking up bandwidth. If you have a mix of Net2 Nodes and Net3 Gateways, you could use both protocols to speak to them, but I think it would be better to run the Net3 Gateways in Net2 Mode, so that you can manage the whole network in NCE, rather than needing to use both NCE and GCE.

At the moment, Net3 DMX/RDM Gateways speak "sACN" (Streaming ACN) for levels. The Net3 I/O Gateway, currently supported by Congo, the Net3 Show Control Gateway, will be supported by Congo in v6, and the Net3 RFR over Ethernet all speak "full ACN", so if you have any/only these items on your network, then you should have sACN and ACN enabled on your Congo, and Net2 isn't required at all.

As for CEM+, it speaks Net2, and listens to sACN at the moment and will be able to communicate with Congo on full ACN in its (the CEM+) next version. Congo is currently able to receive status/error messages from Sensor+ systems if that system also has DimSTAT. In the next version of Sensor+, it will be able to communicate using full ACN, and Congo v5.1 consoles will be able to receive status/error messaging from those racks directly over the network.

Clear as mud? ;-)

Thanks!

Sarah

• Oh what fun when first we network to deceive!

Actually, your post made sense.  It probably helped that I was messing with the find CEM+ function today.

BTW, whoever wrote the ETCNET2_v4_planning_guide deserves a gold star next to their name(s).  I was reading it today while running a rehearsal.  It really is a comprehensive document to explain networking protocol and specifically Net2 protocol.  I have a much better grasp of how the network is working.

Thanks,

John

• Oh what fun when first we network to deceive!

Actually, your post made sense.  It probably helped that I was messing with the find CEM+ function today.

BTW, whoever wrote the ETCNET2_v4_planning_guide deserves a gold star next to their name(s).  I was reading it today while running a rehearsal.  It really is a comprehensive document to explain networking protocol and specifically Net2 protocol.  I have a much better grasp of how the network is working.

Thanks,

John

Children
No Data
Related