Changing channel levels within a chase

Hello

I'm sure there's a very easy way of doing this, but so far it has me stumped!  I want to create a chase with a number of steps and varying channel intensities within those steps. 

So, for instance, I want step 1 of the chase to contain channel 10 at full and channel 11 at 50%. 

When I create the chase I can insert the channels, but they are both at the same intensity within the step.  Is there a simple way of doing this?  I have tried playing with content effects, but get too tangled up in the moving light jargon to be able to see a simple way of doing this.  These lights are just generics, so there are no other parameters I wish to change except intensity.

I've also tried creating a second sequence with presets that equate to the steps of my chase.  I can insert this into my first sequence in the appropriate place by putting it in a master link, and this sets the chase running as I want, but when I go into the next preset in my first sequence it doesn't stop sequence 2 running unless I move the master fader up and down again.  Is there a way to automatically stop it running the master link? 

Thanks for any suggestions!

Louise

• Chase effects always apply the same hi and low levels to the channels within the step. What you want is a Content Effect and then you can use Presets as the content. You would also need a Group recorded that contains the channels you want to run those levels. However, a chase sequence may be the easier way to achieve what you want.

Since you have already made a chase sequence, you need to just insert a master link on the step where you want the chase to fade out, and then make sure the target level for that master in the link is 0%. You're half way there already! ;-)

Make sense?

Thanks -

Sarah

• Hi Sarah

Yes, that makes perfect sense.  I knew there must be some way of stopping the chase sequence once I'd started it!  I'll have a look at the Content Effects tomorrow to see how to build a chase that way, but I think the chase sequence seems much easier for what I've been trying to achieve!

Thanks

Louise

• Hi Sarah

About the chase Effect. If I want that 2 channels have different levels in a step I've got to use the Sequence Chase instead using a Effect chase is that right??

My collegue has to do a chase with 4 channels at different intensity in each step and I say to him that it's possible to use Effects to that but I can't prove that so he use the Sequence chase.

By the way on the Sequence chase or on the chase effect why can't I see step by step the light ?? I'm an ex-Safari user and on the effects we have one option to run or to edit the chase and on the edit we saw step by step the light that is on that step. Sometimes I miss that cause when the Chase is with several channels and with low intensity it's impossible to know what step is wrong.

Pedro Alves

• The two options for that kind of effect are Content Effects using Presets as the Content (instead of Focus palettes etc), or a Sequence in "Chase" mode.

Which method is more suitable depends on how you want to play it back:

If it will be exactly the same every time and you're not going to want to adjust the 'spread' of the channels - ie each step has a 'fixed' range of channels - then a Sequence is probably the best way to do it.

If it's likely to be different each time and you're probably going to adjust the spread of the channels, then a Content Effect may be better.

Note:- The two can give very different results using the same Presets.

Chase Sequences use the entire Presets in order, while Content Effects use the Channels in order and move them along the list of Presets. If you play the Content Effect with all the channels grouped together then you get the same result as the Sequence (except for timing), but you can easily break the channels up so some are in Preset 1 while others are in 2 etc.

Experiment with them and see what you get - much of Content Effects is hard to describe in words but obvious when you try it out and watch what happens.

With Sequence Chases, you can easily look at them step-by-step for editing. There are a few ways to do this:

The easiest "Live" way is to put the Chase Sequence onto Main Playback and then use [SEQ+] and [SEQ-] to step forward and back through the chase, make any edits and [Update] them back into the Presets.

Hitting [Go] at any time runs the chase so you can see the result, and [SEQ+] or [SEQ-] stops it again to step around and make changes.

To edit Blind, use #, [Seq] which instantly opens the Sequence Editor in spreadsheet mode. The upper half shows the content of the current step, the lower half the steps.

With Chase Effects, {Effects} Softkey then {Chase} opens the list of Chases for Chase Effects, showing the channels in each step. Hitting [Modify] on the "Steps" column allows you to select each step in turn, showing the channels used in that step and allowing you to instantly edit.

Content Effects don't have an equivalent editor because they are 'channel independant' - you're choosing which channels to play the effect back on with an attribute and can change that at any time.

[edited by: Richard at 4:18 AM (GMT -6) on Wed, Apr 15 2009]
Related