client tabs

does anyone know how to save tabs on the client and have them return on the startup of the client?

thanks!

Parents
  • I'm pretty sure the client starts with the tabs that are open on the server when you start the client.  We use two monitors on both the server and client and the tabs are the same at startup, including size and splits.

[edited by: Mat at 3:40 PM (GMT -6) on Fri, Apr 24 2009]
  • It seems to always startup with the same tabs that the console starts up with when first booted up, not what is open on the server when the client is started. Since we only have two monitors there and three on the console, the tabs from 2 monitors are condensed onto one monitor.  It seems to be using a default startup screen layout that I can't seem to edit like I can other screen layouts I have saved.  I don't really use the startup screen layout on the console so I am happy to adjust this to make the client be what I want it to, but I can't figure out how to do that.

• The "Default" screen layout is the one you had when you last shut down the console.

So to change it, do the following:

• Save your show - not essential, but a good idea anyway.
    • Set the tabs how you want them by default.
    • Browser > File > Exit to Welcome Screen
    • Start Server again
    • "Use data from last shutdown"
    • Save the show

We are aware that this is not the best solution, so we're working on improvments for a later release of Congo.

• Is there a reason that you don't want to record your own screen layout and recall it? The "default" layout isn't really a default layout, it is just a way to preserve the desktop when you exit the application and restarts it. It doens't work as a default layout on a client.

I would recommend you to save the desired layout (or layouts) and recall it on the client when needed.

• Is there a reason that you don't want to record your own screen layout and recall it? The "default" layout isn't really a default layout, it is just a way to preserve the desktop when you exit the application and restarts it. It doens't work as a default layout on a client.

I would recommend you to save the desired layout (or layouts) and recall it on the client when needed.

Children
  • What I want to be able to do is that every time the client opens it opens with the same layout.  The suggestion on how to do it by Richard seemed to work, but I suppose it's possible that on shutdown of the console it could change what the default layout is the next time. 

You suggested saving the desired layout and recalling it on the client...but how do you do that?  The only way I know of to recall layouts on the console is to use the direct selects, which I can't reference from the client. 

And just to clarify, the whole idea behind this is to create a standard setup for the designer that opens every time the client is started (making it idiot-proof), so I ideally like the idea of the default layout so that there's not an extra step involved in setting them up every day.

• The problem is that it won't be fool proof since it will save whatever that is open when you make the shutdown of the server. So there is no guarantee that it will come back the way you wanted it.

It is true that it is difficult to activate the screen layouts on the client (at least without opening the Console Mimic dock). This is something we should probably look into for the future.

Related