Questions about Congo offline with Vista and Wysiwyg

HI

I've got 2 questions about Congo offline v5.1.

1 - Why can´t I work with the offline editor with Windows Vista??? I've got a laptop with Windows XP and I don't have any problems but with the PC that has the Windows Vista with the last video drivers installed the Congo offline doesn't work. Every time I try the offline appears a window  saying that the recovery file is save on........ you know the rest.

2 - Finally I link on my laptop the Wysiwyg with a Congo Jr. but when I try to link the Wyg with the Congo offline on the same laptop the Wyg doesn't found the Congo console. Can someone tell me what I do wrong?? or can someone tell me how to use the Wyg and the offline editor ont he same computer?

Many thanks in advance

Pedro Alves

Parents
  • First of all, Windows Vista does not support "IPX" at all.

Thus, if you turn on the Avab IPX protocol or the Blind Ethernet Output option, Congo may crash - make sure it's turned off.

Vista often doesn't include Microsoft .NET 1.1 (dot NET), or has a bad installation of it. Try installing or reinstalling .NET, then reinstalling Congo to ensure it is fully 'registered' with .NET.

Make sure your video card supports OpenGL. Not all do, and the Windows Vista software OpenGL is, frankly, awful.

Like most of the Wyg console drivers, the Congo WYG driver uses IPX. This means that it does not work under Windows Vista.

To use visualisation under Windows Vista you have to use one of the modern protocols, for example Streaming ACN or ETCNet2.

Most versions of Wyg Perform support ETCNet2 out of the box, although some versions seem to have great difficulty working out which network card to use under Windows Vista.

Finally, to run Wyg and Congo Offline on the same PC requires a network connection - this can either be a 'real' network connection (an ethernet cable to any switch or router), or the "Microsoft Loopback Adapter".

Instructions for installing the Loopback Adapter under Windows XP can be found here - it should be similar under Windows Vista.

• First of all, Windows Vista does not support "IPX" at all.

Thus, if you turn on the Avab IPX protocol or the Blind Ethernet Output option, Congo may crash - make sure it's turned off.

Vista often doesn't include Microsoft .NET 1.1 (dot NET), or has a bad installation of it. Try installing or reinstalling .NET, then reinstalling Congo to ensure it is fully 'registered' with .NET.

Make sure your video card supports OpenGL. Not all do, and the Windows Vista software OpenGL is, frankly, awful.

Like most of the Wyg console drivers, the Congo WYG driver uses IPX. This means that it does not work under Windows Vista.

To use visualisation under Windows Vista you have to use one of the modern protocols, for example Streaming ACN or ETCNet2.

Most versions of Wyg Perform support ETCNet2 out of the box, although some versions seem to have great difficulty working out which network card to use under Windows Vista.

Finally, to run Wyg and Congo Offline on the same PC requires a network connection - this can either be a 'real' network connection (an ethernet cable to any switch or router), or the "Microsoft Loopback Adapter".

Instructions for installing the Loopback Adapter under Windows XP can be found here - it should be similar under Windows Vista.

Children
  • Thanks Richard.

The Vista problem it's solve just with the Microsoft Framework 1.1. After I install that framework I install again the Congo software and for my surprise it work in perfect condition.

About the Wyg and Congo on the same computer with WIndows XP I can't do that even with the Loopback Adapter install. Maybe I doing something wrong I don't know. I put the Ethernet 802.3 on the IPX protocol but on the TCP/IP if I put an automatic IP the connection isn´t good and if I put an IP adress like I saw on the Congo offline on the Network nodes the Wyg doesn't connect with Congo. Can you please tell me what I'm doing wrong??

And by the way does anyone know how to install the IPX protocol on Windows Vista??? I can't find a way to do that.

Again Thanks Richard

Pedro Alves

[edited by: Pedro Alves at 8:13 PM (GMT -6) on Mon, May 25 2009]
  • Do you know if the connection problem is related to WYG running on the same machine as Congo? Can you connect to Congo if WYG is running on a separate computer? (Just to make sure that the problem is because they are running on the same computer.)

IPX isn't available for Vista. It was removed by Microsoft.

Are you aiming for the full bi-directional connection (with channel selection feedback) or would it be enough to just read the DMX values into WYG and visualize them? For this to work, you don't need to have IPX of the connection with Congo.

• The fault is that you're trying to use the Wyg drivers - as previously stated, these require IPX, which is not available for Windows Vista as it was removed by Microsoft.

Autopatch, Autofocus and the other 'bi-directional' functions are not supported at all by Wyg under Windows Vista. They cannot be made to work.

To see the live visualisation, turn on ETCNet2 and use that. This is supported natively by Wysiwyg Perform and does not require you to use a console driver - you just need to patch the channels to it.

Related