congo 6 niggles

There seem to be a couple of minor niggles for me with congo 6 and i realise that some of it maybe down to setting choices but if anyone can offer advice i would be more than pleased to take it.

First of all my desk no longer seems to save the current show on shutdown which means if you forget to save you loose the show data.

Another annoying feature is when you record a sub, then when you go to re-record the same sub it defaults to the record sequence tab and i end up recording the sub multiple times when i'm in a hurry.

And my last niggle for today is that when i put the desk into the patch selection screen to softpatch the desk i usually have to go into another patch screen and alter something before the patch screen will start to work

Anyway sorry for the list

Thanks

Andy 

Parents
  • Hi Andy,

Shutdown: You are shutting down the console through the command in the Browser, right? This should always store the last used data to a file called SAVED.ASC.

Next time you start the console, you don't get the startup choice of restoring this data?

Are you using the "Bypass welcome screen" option?

Recording to masters: Well, this is the way the new dialog works. It tries to suggest a suitable tab depending on the existing data. However, we should maybe reconsider if this is desirable.

Patching: Can you please be more specific what you mean with "patch selection screen" and "another patch screen" so that I can try the same thing here.

• Hi Andy,

Shutdown: You are shutting down the console through the command in the Browser, right? This should always store the last used data to a file called SAVED.ASC.

Next time you start the console, you don't get the startup choice of restoring this data?

Are you using the "Bypass welcome screen" option?

Recording to masters: Well, this is the way the new dialog works. It tries to suggest a suitable tab depending on the existing data. However, we should maybe reconsider if this is desirable.

Patching: Can you please be more specific what you mean with "patch selection screen" and "another patch screen" so that I can try the same thing here.

Children
  • Hi Anders thanks for your reply,

I do use the Bypass welcome screen option as well as using the choice to start with a specific file so i do not get an option on startup to restart that file, not unless the console has crashed.

As to the subs, when i re record on top of a sub i am 99% of the time updating that particular sub, not looking to assign it as a sequence i don't know about other congo users tho but surely they would be the same?

When i soft patch i usually do so using the "Patch by channel/dimmer" tab and do so using the # CH ID # MODIFY method, on this version of congo i find when i initially start the desk that when i try to patch that way nothing happens unless i start the patching process some other way for example on the Output list. Once i patch or change one thing on that list then i can continue to patch as normal in the Pactch by channel/dimmer tab

Thanks

Andy

• Ryote said:
    ... as well as using the choice to start with a specific file so i do not get an option on startup to restart that file, not unless the console has crashed.

That explains it - you've specifically told the console not to load the last saved data, but to instead load a particular show file.

Therefore, it will always load that specific show file, and never the last saved data.

The option to load a specific show file is there for 'architainment' installations such as theme parks and architectural illumination.
    This guards against accidental changes to the show file - basically, any changes to the show will always be discarded unless specifically saved.

Use the last saved data option instead - this will load the data saved at last shutdown.

Ryote said:
    As to the subs, when i re record on top of a sub i am 99% of the time updating that particular sub, not looking to assign it as a sequence i don't know about other congo users tho but surely they would be the same?

We currently believe that most users want to record a Sequence onto the Master when they're adding Presets on top of existing Presets, which is why we have chosen "Sequence" as the default for non-blank Masters.

If you want to replace the existing content, then hit [Tab] to move to the "Preset" option, or clear the Master before re-recording there.

Ryote said:
    When i soft patch i usually do so using the "Patch by channel/dimmer" tab and do so using the # CH ID # MODIFY method, on this version of congo i find when i initially start the desk that when i try to patch that way nothing happens unless i start the patching process some other way for example on the Output list. Once i patch or change one thing on that list then i can continue to patch as normal in the Pactch by channel/dimmer tab

I've done a bit of testing and I haven't managed to repeat that issue here, though obviously in At Mode the syntax is [Ch/Id] # [.] # [Modify] as the channel selection syntax changes.

Can you describe a repeatable situation, and maybe attach a showfile and a System Settings Backup file (so we can test with your exact console settings) where this always happens?

- To create a System Settings Backup, insert a suitable USB stick, exit to System Settings, "Utilities" tab, "Backup Settings", select USB drive and confirm.

[edited by: Richard at 10:41 AM (GMT -6) on Tue, Mar 23 2010]
  • hi richard thanks for your reply,

As to the first issue thanks i had the desk booting to a a default program to save time but i'll change that.

As to the master preset option as we run a lot of show plots quickly into subs for programming purposes i always want to write over a saved preset with the updated data rather than as a seperate sequence. 

As to the patch thing this is odd for me, since we got the desk 3 and a bit years ago i have always patched in AT mode #[ch/Id] #[Modify] and it worked (well at the start you had to knock it into patch mode).  Your syntax of course works and does first time BUT after you have got that first patch altered the other syntax works also. And this has only changed with version 6

I reckon with so many software upgrades its time to retrain on congo again maybe....

Thanks for your time

Andy

[edited by: Ryote at 11:12 AM (GMT -6) on Tue, Mar 23 2010]
  • Hi,

Have you tried using UPDATE & Master button to update your presets?

"Patch by channel/dimmer tab": Do you mean the Channel List?

• Ryote said:
    As to the patch thing this is odd for me, since we got the desk 3 and a bit years ago i have always patched in AT mode #[ch/Id] #[Modify] and it worked (well at the start you had to knock it into patch mode).  Your syntax of course works and does first time BUT after you have got that first patch altered the other syntax works also. And this has only changed with version 6

Ah - you are using At Mode.

In v6 we have indeed made quite a few changes to how At Mode works.
    - For example, you can now use At Mode syntax to select Groups and Effect Playbacks as well as channels.

We also removed some of the RPN syntax from At Mode - eg, # [Ch/ID] to select a single channel, to remove some ambiguity. (Is the number an intensity or a channel?)

When using the Output Editor to patch-by-channel, the first action is "Select a Channel".
    This uses the same syntax as selecting a channel anywhere else (Live etc).

- It's actually selecting in Live, so if you have both Output Editor and Live tabs open, you'll see the channel selection there (this is particularly useful if you're patching channels that are currently unpatched, eg from an unpatched show)

However, I do now see what is happening:
    In At Mode the # [Ch/Id] # [Modify] syntax does nothing in the Output Editor, but # [Ch/ID] does select a channel in the Channel List, to allow you to instantly jump to any channel.

In summary, when using the Output Editor:

Select your channels to patch exactly the same way you do in Live, and all will be well.

Related