Effects, Effekte, Effets, Efectos, Effetti....

A collection of effect tutorials in many languages... :-)

Parents Reply
  • Hi, and thanks a lot for the tutorial

I have some questions about effects with Congo :

- Is it a way to program diferent value for size and speed for each group in 1 Dynamic Effect ?

If not, how can i have the same effect on all device but with diferents values for each group ? Only a preset ?

- I don't know how to assign a master speed and a master size for one (or more) effect placed on a master ? I don't understand how to configure the master

Thanks, bye

Children
  • Hi Dano -

For running similar dynamic effects on different groups of lights, you would need an Effect Playback for each group you want to run the effect on. You can use the ALIGN function to copy the settings of one effect playback onto the others, and then just change the groups on each playback. Then you can have different sizes and rates for each group/playback. To get those all onto one master playback, select all the effect playbacks together, then record a preset. If the base points of the channels running the effect(s) are also important (color, position, etc) then make sure to also select the groups of lights running the effects as well as the effect playbacks then record the preset to the master. (Or just get it all running the way you like, and use RECORD & PRESET to make a new preset in the preset list, and then place that preset onto a master).

Dynamic Effect Playbacks use the intensity of the effect playback to control/scale the size parameter of the effect from 0/stopped to the maximum size value set on the playback itself. If you make a preset that only contains dynamic effect playbacks, and then place that preset onto a master, the intensity handle of the master will control the size of all those effects. We don't have a way to place rate on a master fader at the moment. However, you can press the master key for that same preset, which should select all the effect playbacks stored into that preset, and then use the encoder wheel for rate.

Hope this helps -

Thanks -

Sarah

• Hi Sarah

Of course this helps ! Thanks ! I begin to understand the Congo brain. A good one !

But (yes ther is one), when i wrote my question (without Congo)

"- I don't know how to assign a master speed and a master size for one (or more) effect placed on a master ? I don't understand how to configure the master "

i didn't remember where i saw that fader in Congo.

After search in Congo now, I found. I open a Demo Play like Festival, and I turn on JAM mode (device Master), and saw that

So I keep searching and I saw that the way to configure that, looks like that

Great ! Looks like working fine... They only  work when groups selected. Rate and size seem to work with Dynamics, Rate/Tap seems to work with Content. But I don't know why. Because I don't really understand "Rate". What the difference with Speed ?

And it gives to me another question, can we have a master which position 0 is NOT 0, but... 15 ??

Bye

• Hi Dano -

Ah, yes you can place parameters directly on the masters as you have found!

The difference between Rate and Size of a dynamic effect and TapRate of a content effect has to do with those very different effect types. Each effect type has certain parameters, just like some devices can have RGB to make colored light, and some have CMY to make colored light, the different effects have different parameter names when the functions are different (but just like with mixing color, the different parameters can make the outcome look similar).

Dynamic effects apply math to parameters so that they move around a base point - take a circle effect as an example. You point the light somewhere, and then the dynamic effect makes the pan and tilt apply sine wave math to that fixed point to create the circle. There are no steps, just constant smooth movement along the path of the wave. The Rate and Size controls affect how quickly the light moves along the path *rate), and how far away from the center point the wave is allowed to get (size). In this case, speed might have been a better naming choice, however this effect type has been in existence for a very long time so we kept the old name. The numbers here work like this - 100 is "normal" speed, however this speed has no real value because it depends on the size of the wave and can also appear to depend on the speeds the lights are capable of moving. Rate of 200 is 2x normal = twice as fast, and Rate of 50 = 1/2 normal, or twice as slow. Because there are no steps in dynamics, there's no possibility to set a tempo or use a tap function to set a rate.

A content effect, on the other hand, is made up of steps - individual points that have to be hit as the effect runs. Because there is a step time involved, we added a TapRate function that combines tapping a button to set a tempo for the effect (Tap) and a rate override (could also be thought of as speed) for all the timing of the effect  that you can set numerically, by tapping, or by moving an encoder/fader. Setting TapRate to 200 makes the effect run 2x as fast as recorded, setting it to 50 makes the effect play 1/2x the recorded time and setting TapRate to 0 will make the effect stop.

Does that help?

Thanks!

Sarah 

• Yes that does !!!

Thanks Sarah, you rules !!!!

Related