Display Main Playback on distantly workplace like Followspot

Hi,

is it possible to display the mainplayback window on a separete screen at an distantly workplace like followspot. a long video-cable with a splitted signal from screen 1 is unlikely a very expensive solution. is it possible to use ethernet without the well know standard converters.

best way would be just a screen at the followspot location.

greets

Kasen

• A remote VGA monitor driven from a splitter on one screen is almost certainly the cheapest option by far.

Assuming a 'long' way, you would need a VGA splitter, VGA to Cat5 balun, length of Cat5 cable, Cat5 to VGA balun, VGA monitor.
    (Less than about 30-40m at 1024x768 is usually ok with just a splitter and good-quality long VGA cable, though you may see a bit of 'smearing'.)

- I've used a pair of Extron VGA baluns to send 1024x768 VGA signals approx. 150m across a building site for a topping out ceremony, which is almost certainly considerably further than you need.

Both the balun 'converter' and the active VGA splitter are necessary - the signal will not go far without them.

Finally, it is important to mention that these are not Ethernet to VGA converters.
    These baluns are simply using Cat5 cable - do not connect them to an ethernet switch, hub, router, PC or other ethernet equipment as it could damage them.

• Richard said:

,Finally, it is important to mention that these are not Ethernet to VGA converters.

These baluns are simply using Cat5 cable - do not connect them to an ethernet switch, hub, router, PC or other ethernet equipment as it could damage them.

and thats the problem ,cause we only have an existing network not a pure cable connection. so we have to use a separate new line cat5 or vga.

thanks for your help!

• Can you bypass the copper switch at the patch bay - plug the 'from the console' tieline directly into the 'to the followspot' tieline?

Two runs of maximum allowed for ethernet should still be within the capabilities of most good baluns.

• How about a laptop running the client software?  I use this to monitor the show from my office during a run and it works great.  That way, existing Cat5 cable can be used.

Related