Channel Level Limit

Anyone know is there a way of setting a limit on the channel level on the desk - i.e. instead of the channel going to full it can only go to 95%?

Thanks!

Parents
  • Hi,

1. In the Channel List, set a scale of 95%. This will prevent the output to go to 100%. (But it will also generate an output of 9.5% if the channel is set to 10%)

2. Build yourself a new dimmercurve (Patching|Settings and Tools|Dimmer Curve List) which assigns 100% "Percent" to 95% "Output". (See the "Preheat 5" as an example, a limit would work the other way round.)

Then in the Output List you have to assign that dimmer curve to the output channel.

• Take care with dimmer curves. There is currently a bug that the final tick (255 Input) always gives 100% Output. The workaround is to set Output Proportion to 99% so that it never hits the final tick.
    This is fixed in the next release - v6.1.0, due 'soon'.

The easiest solution for the OP is to set Output Proportion to 95%.

Channel Scale will show in Live so you will see that the channel never actually hits 100%, and applies to all the Intensity addresses patched to that channel.

• Browser > Patching > Settings and Tools > Output List > Universe x
    • Adjust the value in the Proportion column for the required output addresses

This will allow you to see 100% in Live when the console is outputting the 'top set' value (95% output).

• Oops, I wasn't aware that scaling in the Output List and Channel List were causing different behaviour.

(Although IMHO I would recommend – in V6.1 – to build a dimmer curve for a true output limit rather than scaling channels or outputs. –– btw: I never understood why someone would use an output limit. If a theatre's dimmer tech would want to save lamp hours he'd set an output limit directly in the dimmer units. And a good operator would set the @@-Level to 90% or 95% and wait for the LD to ask for "more 100%". – This is only my personal opinion and might be slightly off-topic…)

Best,

Mario

[edited by: mdaszenies at 6:57 PM (GMT -6) on Tue, Jan 11 2011]
  • Although I rarely program my fixtures to full, I once read an article by a guy who proposed that you program with the grand master at 90%, then when you need that extra bump, you  can push your GM up, likening this action to Spinal Tap when they "go to 11". 

Reply Children
No Data
Related