Congo Jr & ArKaos

Quick question...

I have my Congo Jr and the ArKaos software (ver 3.6.1 DMX); DMX to Entec DMX dongle USB to computer. Can control ArKaos in 1-to-1 patch using individual channel control, but when I load the Arkaos device in the patch I can't control it. The channel comes up as usual, which I select, but where I'd usually see my parameters for a moving light, it's all blank. In the output list and device settings all the parameters are shown, but no way of controlling them. Am I missing something?

I do also have an Arkaos related problem which I know isn't covered here, but might as well ask in case of a quick answer. In DMX mode, I can bring up clips in the layers, but can't get them into the preview screen or output. What should I have done?

Finally, does anybody know if there's such a thing as Arkaos Training in the UK?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Parents
  • The Arkaos template is quite a strange one - when you import it, it's almost completely empty of range names etc, as Congo populates it when 'connecting' to it over the MSEX protocol.

Note that Arkaos doesn't have any Focus parameters at all - you'll see things under Colour and Beam, and will be able to control them, but the range names are simply things like "Pic1" etc.

We always recommend controlling Arkaos (and other media servers) over the network rather than via DMX, as it provides much greater flexibility and avoids the use of any DMX adapters.

The DMX version of Arkaos includes control over ArtNet as standard, but they do an ETCNet2 version as well.

The best way to control Arkaos from Congo is as follows:

• Connect the Arkaos computer to the lighting control network.
    • Start Arkaos, create the patches and layers you need.
    • At the Congo heartbeat, ensure that "ArtNet" or "ETCNet2" are ticked (depending on your ArKaos version).
    • Patch one Arkaos device (Full, Maxi or Tiny Fixture) for each Arkaos layer - the desk channels and DMX outputs must be contiguous.
    • 'Connect' to the Arkaos PC from Congo:
      • Browser > Network > Network Nodes (#) > Arkaos, and hit [Modify] on the Arkaos node.
      • Choose the desk channel(s) Arkaos is patched to.
    • This will populate the Arkaos channels with the patch information you've put into Arkaos, including thumbnails.
      • Note that this does not automatically update - you'll need to 'Connect' again to receive changes to the Arkaos setup.
    Unfortunately I don't know Arkaos well enough to help with your other questions.

[edited by: Richard at 7:45 AM (GMT -6) on Tue, Oct 02 2007] [edited by: Richard at 3:21 AM (GMT -6) on Tue, Oct 02 2007] Edited to complete the sentence. Muppet! [edited by: Richard at 7:49 AM (GMT -6) on Thu, Sep 27 2007] ArtNet is standard, not ETC Net2
  • The Arkaos template is quite a strange one - when you import it, it's almost completely empty of range names etc, as Congo populates it when 'connecting' to it over the MSEX protocol.

Note that Arkaos doesn't have any Focus parameters at all - you'll see things under Colour and Beam, and will be able to control them, but the range names are simply things like "Pic1" etc.

We always recommend controlling Arkaos (and other media servers) over the network rather than via DMX, as it provides much greater flexibility and avoids the use of any DMX adapters.

The DMX version of Arkaos includes control over ArtNet as standard, but they do an ETCNet2 version as well.

The best way to control Arkaos from Congo is as follows:

• Connect the Arkaos computer to the lighting control network.
    • Start Arkaos, create the patches and layers you need.
    • At the Congo heartbeat, ensure that "ArtNet" or "ETCNet2" are ticked (depending on your ArKaos version).
    • Patch one Arkaos device (Full, Maxi or Tiny Fixture) for each Arkaos layer - the desk channels and DMX outputs must be contiguous.
    • 'Connect' to the Arkaos PC from Congo:
      • Browser > Network > Network Nodes (#) > Arkaos, and hit [Modify] on the Arkaos node.
      • Choose the desk channel(s) Arkaos is patched to.
    • This will populate the Arkaos channels with the patch information you've put into Arkaos, including thumbnails.
      • Note that this does not automatically update - you'll need to 'Connect' again to receive changes to the Arkaos setup.
    Unfortunately I don't know Arkaos well enough to help with your other questions.

[edited by: Richard at 7:45 AM (GMT -6) on Tue, Oct 02 2007] [edited by: Richard at 3:21 AM (GMT -6) on Tue, Oct 02 2007] Edited to complete the sentence. Muppet! [edited by: Richard at 7:49 AM (GMT -6) on Thu, Sep 27 2007] ArtNet is standard, not ETC Net2
Children
  • Hi,

I'm Matthieu, developper at ArKaos.

The ETCNet2 protocol is only available with a specific license. But actually with a standard DMX license, ArtNet will let you connect with the console with MSEX (Media Server EXtensions) protocol. Then Congo will dynamically fill the Visual File with the movies/pictures/cameras and texts available in ArKaos.

Normally if you don't use the MSEX, which is the case since you only have a DMX connection without ethernet, you won't see the name of the visuals but you should be able to select PIC1 , PIC2 etc. 

The channel comes up as usual, which I select, but where I'd usually see my parameters for a moving light, it's all blank. In the output list and device settings all the parameters are shown, but no way of controlling them. Am I missing something?

It seems to be a problem related to the fixture in Congo... I have no idea why you couldn't change the parameter values. 

I do also have an Arkaos related problem which I know isn't covered here, but might as well ask in case of a quick answer. In DMX mode, I can bring up clips in the layers, but can't get them into the preview screen or output. What should I have done?

It means that some channels of the fixture have parameters that makes it not visible, for instance:
      - if all color channels (red, green and blue) are at 0% (normal value 100%)
      - if one of the position (X, Y or Z) channel is at 0% (normal value 50%)
      - if one of the scaling/size channels (X,Y) is at 0% (normal value 100%)
      - if one of the rotation channels is 0% or 100% (normal value 50%)

Does it help ?

• Thanks Matthieu!

PDD - If you're getting no attributes under Colour or Beam, can you send me the show file for analysis?

My email is richard.thompson_at_this_domain

• All fixed, and kicking myself for forgetting to look under 'Beam' palettes - been a few months since I last used the desk! I now seem to be able to control everything properly via the DMX node, which is adequate for me really.

Having done that, the images now appear in the Preview (and output) as they should. It's marvellous being able to control the video from the Congo!

With networking, forgive my ignorance, but do I need to have a full network running or is it as simple as connecting the Congo Jr to the Arkaos computer with a standard Cat5 lead?

• If the only two things on the network are Arkaos and Congo, all you really need is a crossover Cat5 cable (plus ticking the ArtNet/ETC Net2 boxes under System Settings at the heartbeat, and setting the Arkaos computer's IP address to 10.101.1.###).

I would recommend a cheapo switch (eg the 5-port Linksys thingies), but only because that makes it easier to expand the networked items later - if Arkaos and Congo are the only things that are going to be on the network, you don't need one.

• Is it possible to connect to arkaos through a network cable though bringing up the thumbnails, and make it easier to program a show. Then later run the show connecting to arkaos only through a DMX-cable?
Related