Making the switch to Congo

Hi everyone-

I'm a senior at the Hamilton High School Academy of Music in Los Angeles, CA.  The Colortran board in our 600 seat house died over the summer.  We've ordered a Congo Jr., which should be here in a couple months.  I first learned to program on ETC boards in the Express/Expression family and still do regularly.  How hard has it been for others of you to make the switch to the new platform?  Does it at all resemble the platform of any other major consoles out there today?  Any general tips for making the switch? 

Parents
  •  I had never used a moving light console before, and in one week I felt very comfortable with it.  Just do as many mock set ups as you can.  The best thing for me with Congo is:

First - build your palets from the direct select (Color, Beam, Focus & Group)

Second -  then build your presets from your palets (the direct selects)

From this I just play the presets back from the main playback, or load them into the master faders. 

This console is extremly fast and amaizing.  The thing that helped me was to learn something small everyday, and break up the console in sections and focus on those sections. 

I hope this has helped. 

Keith

• Thanks Keith-

Nice to hear the console's so user friendly.  I think it's just going to feel daunting until I get my hands on it.  A little bit at a time seems like a good way to approach learning the new system.

Thanks,

Matt

• Hi Matt,

My name is David Smith, I am one of two Field Project Coordinators at ETC's Hollywood office, and am the main trainer for Congo on the West Coast. I just want you to know that you can call me at anytime to make arrangements to come to the office and get trained on the console or if you have any questions about the console please don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you,

David Smith

323-203-3263

david.smith@etcconnect.com

We have a Visualization program that will allow you to see what your doing in a virtual enviorment to help learn the desk.

• Hi Matt

I'm Ulf from the Development Team - and I'm responsible for the manual (on-line and paper) and the movie tutorials. I suggest that you check the movies in the MEDIA folder of the Browser out, and the three "Quick Introduction" chapters in the manual. I have tried to make them helpful for anyone in your situation.

Please let me know what you found hard to get your head around once you are up and running - it will help me improve the support for future Matt's.

All best

• Hi Matt

I'm Ulf from the Development Team - and I'm responsible for the manual (on-line and paper) and the movie tutorials. I suggest that you check the movies in the MEDIA folder of the Browser out, and the three "Quick Introduction" chapters in the manual. I have tried to make them helpful for anyone in your situation.

Please let me know what you found hard to get your head around once you are up and running - it will help me improve the support for future Matt's.

All best

Children
  • Thanks to all those who have shared their wisdom with me so far.  Once we get the console, I'm told we will be receiving a training session. 

Ulf-

I've already downloaded the manual and am about to download the offline editor package.  Are the tutorial movies also in the offline download.  If not, can they be made available somewhere online?

Thanks, and please keep the suggestions coming!!!

• Hi yes the Movies are in the off line Congo, also don't forget the Help button which brings up the manual then just hit TEXT and type in a key word in. The relevant pages will pop up without you looking though the whole manual, a Cool Function which saves loads of time !!!!!!

Carlos

• Another thing about the help system - you can navigate the hyperlinks without having to use the mouse - just use C/ALT & the UP or DOWN arrow to move from one link to the next.

If you find pages that you want to return to easily, you can use the NOTE key to set a Help Favorites link in the Browser. Type a little note to yourself (or to others) to remind yourself why you would like to return to that page. The link to the page appears in the Browser, and the note you type appears in the Info area below the Browser.

BTW, I was also a big time Expression user when I took on the Congo project. I have been using Expressions since 1989 (I've also used Artisans, Virtuosos and Hog2s). I found that the hardest part of learning the Congo wasn't actually the syntax of the desk, rather it was teaching my typing hand to not hit the C/ALT (Clear) key when I meant to type "0". :-) Structurally, Congo is quite similar to the Expression, and I think with a little practice you'll find the syntax of the console to be very fast and very intuitive. And as always, we're here to help if you have questions.

Thanks!

Sarah

• Thanks Sarah.  This is the kind of response I was looking for. If anyone has had similar experiences, please continue to share.  I look forward to joinging the family of Congo users.

• Hullo Matt,

As a longtime Obsession user with several years of Express/Expression too, I found switching to the Congo pretty easy. The RPN so many non-Congo users fear isn’t a big deal; my hands picked it up pretty quickly.

What IS challenging for me is moving BACK to something else (as a board op) or teaching someone else verbally to run a Congo. I had to LD an Expression show awhile back and remembering how to talk to the board op was a matter of two or three minutes’ mental reboot. And I have found that trying to explain to someone else how to run it, keystroke-by-keystroke, is very hard for me because I have to use words. But actually running it? No problem. I imagine the more I keep switching back and forth the faster I’ll get at adjusting.

In December we had a guest LD (rare) and did a lot of conventional programming (rarer), theater-style, with him giving levels on comm. Translating his “3@40 4@80 61 thru 71@90” into RPN wasn’t a problem until we really had to work at speed, the sequences got longer or more complex, he misspoke or changed his mind or I simply typo’d. When it was very fast and we had a lot of digits going I did stumble a lot more than I find acceptable, and in the future I would probably toggle to At Mode for channel entry to save confusion. I’ve resisted using At Mode so far so as to learn the RPN properly, and because it only refers to channel selection, not recording, navigating tabs, attribute selection (I think), and the many other functions. I wanted to keep the consistency. But in these circumstances, At Mode would probably save me.

Welcome to Congo!

• Hello Matt,

I am having a demo of a Congo Jr. in March.  How are you doing with the console?  Do the students do the actual programming or are you the sole console operator?  I am the Technical Director for the North East School of the Arts here in San Antonio, Texas.  I am working hard to get moving lights and scrollers in our theater and upgrading our ETC Express 48/96 is on the list as well.  I would appreciate any feedback on the learning curve in an educational environment of the Congo Jr.

Thanks

Mark Ayers

• Hi Mark-

In case it wasn't clear in the earlier posts, I am a student.  I'm a senior at the Hamilton Academy of Music in Los Angeles, CA.  We do 6 major productions (2 dance, 2 drama, and 2 musicals) each season, as well as many concerts and various jobs for organizations that rent out our theater.  All of the programming for the dance, drama, and minor shows is done by students.  The musicals are almost always professionally designed and programmed by the designer.  (Except for our upcoming production of Les Miserables, which I am co-designing and co-programming.  Scrollers and movers find there way in for the dance shows occasionally, but mostly we only receive a budget to rent them during musicals or outside shows.  We have not yet received our Congo Jr. (the purchase order is fuddled up in the the school district somewhere), but are awaiting it anxiously.  For now we're using a loaner ETC Insight, which has proved very easy to use.  As soon as we get the board and I get my hands on it, I'll be sure to let you know how I feel about the learning curve.  I only ask that you do the same for me and the other users.  I created and am monitoring this discussion for that purpose.  Be sure to check out some of the other posts in the topic.  A few of them are right on the money.

PS-for conventionals and a few effects type devices, the Express is a rock solid workhorse.  The design of the congo should make it more practical for intelligent devices.

Good luck, and keep us updated

Matt

Related