Multiple services/shows with changing set lists

As a newbie and a volunteer I haven't learned how to use multiple sequences yet but I think that's my next step (programming weekly for songs in worship services). I was reading the article about lighting designer Emma Westerburg and the flexibility she needs with her set list for each show. We'd like to set something like this up for our services but I want to be sure I'm going the right direction.

Just like Ms. Westerbug said she has to be flexible with a varying nightly songlist, we get a weekly songlist. Currently we're programing new every week and we will have to continue to do this with new songs, however we'd like to start saving settings for individual songs and have the option of reusing them.

Is the best way to do this by setting up individual sequences for each song, then you just adjust the order of sequences each show? Is there an easy way to create an "overlap" from sequence to sequence with the intelligent lighting (MAC 250's) so there's not a dead look in between sequences or do you just have to do this with stationary lights? 

If multiple sequences are NOT the way to do this, what do you suggest?

[edited by: Jaerm at 1:52 PM (GMT -6) on Sun, Oct 07 2007]
Parents
  • Multiple sequences are often the best way to do this, as it's an easy way to organise your presets into songs that may be re-used in any order.

You can either do this manually, or get Congo to do it automatically using a Playlist. 

The manual method is to load a new sequence onto the Main Playback for each song:

When you load a new Sequence onto the Main Playback, the looks in "A" and "B" are retained until you hit [GO] or otherwise change them,
    This makes it easier in a gig situation, as you'll often want to drop to a 'spots only' or other generic look for a quick introduction or similar before starting the next song.
    Most operators put this generic look (or a few of them) onto one or more Masters.

• As the song ends, you fade the main playback into the final look.
    • You then raise the Master that has the right generic look*
    • This gives you time to load the sequence for the next song, and ensure it's ready to begin when you hit [GO]

Alternatively, you can use the Playlist to make this even easier.

It's located under the Browser > Playlist.

You can insert your sequences into the Playlist in any order, and even re-use them several times if you want.

• # [Insert] inserts the numbered sequence into the Playlist.
    • [Delete] removes the selected sequence from the playlist - but it does not delete the sequence itself.
    • # [Modify] changes the selected sequence to the new number.
    • [GOTO] auto-loads the selected sequence into the Main Playback and the first step into "B", ready to begin when you hit [GO]
      • Very handy if you suddenly need to skip forwards or back one or more songs.

To activate Playlist mode, hit the {Playlist} softkey, which is under {Misc} on the ML Display.

This will immediately load the first sequence into the Main Playback, with the first step in "B".
    - You'll also see a tick mark by the softkey, and a "Playlist" lens appears in the Main Playback to indicate you're in this mode.

Hit [GO], and it all begins!

As each sequence ends, the first step of the next will be automatically loaded into "B" with the rest of the sequence ready to continue, for a seamless transition from each song into the next.

You do have to take care with moving light attributes to ensure that you have good transitions into and out of each sequence - of course, this takes more care than usual as each sequence could be followed by any other!

Finally, something I've always found useful in both busking and pre-programmed situations is a few 'safety looks' on Masters, for when something unexpected happens - you can bring it up and have time to decide what to do next to maintain the flow of the show.
    - I usually have these separated out into backlight, sidelight and facelight in the various angles and colours I have available, but you will know which lights are most useful in your venue.

* This look can of course include moving lights and any other devices you have, but this does make it more complex as you need to ensure a good transition into this position. A good tip is to make this Master a sequence, which first pre-positions and then raises the moving lights.
    You can either hit the Master Key to advance the sequence, or use follow-ons

• Multiple sequences are often the best way to do this, as it's an easy way to organise your presets into songs that may be re-used in any order.

You can either do this manually, or get Congo to do it automatically using a Playlist. 

The manual method is to load a new sequence onto the Main Playback for each song:

When you load a new Sequence onto the Main Playback, the looks in "A" and "B" are retained until you hit [GO] or otherwise change them,
    This makes it easier in a gig situation, as you'll often want to drop to a 'spots only' or other generic look for a quick introduction or similar before starting the next song.
    Most operators put this generic look (or a few of them) onto one or more Masters.

• As the song ends, you fade the main playback into the final look.
    • You then raise the Master that has the right generic look*
    • This gives you time to load the sequence for the next song, and ensure it's ready to begin when you hit [GO]

Alternatively, you can use the Playlist to make this even easier.

It's located under the Browser > Playlist.

You can insert your sequences into the Playlist in any order, and even re-use them several times if you want.

• # [Insert] inserts the numbered sequence into the Playlist.
    • [Delete] removes the selected sequence from the playlist - but it does not delete the sequence itself.
    • # [Modify] changes the selected sequence to the new number.
    • [GOTO] auto-loads the selected sequence into the Main Playback and the first step into "B", ready to begin when you hit [GO]
      • Very handy if you suddenly need to skip forwards or back one or more songs.

To activate Playlist mode, hit the {Playlist} softkey, which is under {Misc} on the ML Display.

This will immediately load the first sequence into the Main Playback, with the first step in "B".
    - You'll also see a tick mark by the softkey, and a "Playlist" lens appears in the Main Playback to indicate you're in this mode.

Hit [GO], and it all begins!

As each sequence ends, the first step of the next will be automatically loaded into "B" with the rest of the sequence ready to continue, for a seamless transition from each song into the next.

You do have to take care with moving light attributes to ensure that you have good transitions into and out of each sequence - of course, this takes more care than usual as each sequence could be followed by any other!

Finally, something I've always found useful in both busking and pre-programmed situations is a few 'safety looks' on Masters, for when something unexpected happens - you can bring it up and have time to decide what to do next to maintain the flow of the show.
    - I usually have these separated out into backlight, sidelight and facelight in the various angles and colours I have available, but you will know which lights are most useful in your venue.

* This look can of course include moving lights and any other devices you have, but this does make it more complex as you need to ensure a good transition into this position. A good tip is to make this Master a sequence, which first pre-positions and then raises the moving lights.
    You can either hit the Master Key to advance the sequence, or use follow-ons

Children
No Data
Related