Tutorial, Ha !

I see that you can get a training DVD for the ION, Obviously the training DVD for the Congo family has been lost in the post, as has any updates to the tutorials for the past 2 years (actually nearly 3), conversely the software has been updated ...........oh I've lost count, in short - mmmmmmmmm!! cheers guys

Parents
  • Yes, I have to admit that we are falling behind on Congo stuff.
    But there'a actually good news on their way

We are in final stage with a set of our reknown Teabreak Tutorials for Congo Line desks
    These has proven very useful with the Eos Line and I'm confident you will be happy too.
    And more in the pipeline 

• Hopefully so Erik, Ulf said that to me last year, so forgive me if I dont hold my breath for too long

• I have no reason to question what Ulf told you.....
    But the Teabreak Tutorial files are made in London.
    (And I have actually seen the draft version, that is in review right now :-)

Cheers

• Ok, Then I'll look forward to them, when ? this side of xmas ?

• For a sneak preview of the Congo Tea Break Tutorial series:

http://db.tt/ZubyIJye

There are no base plays to load yet, but soon!

-luke-

• All look very nice, but they don't really go beyond the "Ulf" video's, hopefully, when finished, they will go further ?

• Hi there -

It is not possible for us to write a tutorial on every detail of the console (that's what the help system is for.) However, we do know that some topics are helped by tutorials, and we get the most bang for the buck, so to say, by covering the main topics. It would help us to help you if you could provide us some details on what you are looking for, specifically. What do you feel is missing?

Thanks much -

Sarah

• This goes back to my initial comments made two years ago via your email questionaire, Congo/Congo Jnr video's = 13, Eos/Ion video's = 96, Both under the ETC product umberella, it favours one board, topics to cover, Take your pick. ETC managed 96 (some duplicates with more info) for Eos/Ion , and I think it's fair to say that the manual is not very well written ask your users. Marks out of ten for the manual ? , I'll start it off - 4/10

Cheers

• I think that a simple way to see some other areas tutorials could delve into deeper would be to see how the Eos line tutorials came up with 96 different things to cover. There's very little the Congo can't do that the EOS line can, so I imagine that would be a way to see about expanding into advanced training.

Obviously there are hundreds of ways to use the Congo - I think many of us are limited to using only a few methods of doing anything... tutorials on good ways to use Masters and Direct selects, or effects, or other more advanced techniques would be invaluable to many users, where we could develop a more complete understanding of the different ways to use all the many features.

The manual can be useful but it's hard to navigate at times and it doesn't give any sense of why a person might use a certain technique or button, just lays out that it's available. For those without extensive experience using other modern consoles, I think there's a lot of things the Congo can do that many of us never even think to try, and some advanced tutorials in the vein of what Ulf's videos do but more advanced could be really valuable to us.

As an owner of a Congo in the US, where there's not a lot of users, I have a lot of people trying to learn how to use the console effectively, and unless I sit down and teach classes myself, they end up pretty limited to just the areas the tutorials address in their understanding of ways to put the board to more advanced use.

Marks out of ten for the manual? I'd have to give a 7. I've read a lot of manuals, and they're usually far worse than this one. It's got pretty much everything covered, but as a learning tool it's really hard to navigate from the perspective of "I know what I want to do but I don't know how". If you're coming at it from "What's possible with this part of the console?" it's just about perfect in my mind, but there's no way to parse the manual from the opposite direction, if that makes sense.

• Hi, Thanks for your input

I think you can put it into to catagories.

1) Sometimes there is a function you need to use but you only use it once in a blue moon, so you then have to try and find it in the manual, decipher what it actually means then perform the action. usually with the visiting tech breathing down your neck. If this was available as a video then it would be much easier to spend ten mins watching the vid to "refresh your memory"

2) As you say, there are lots of things the board can do that we simply don't have time to explore/discover, again with the video's this could open up the possibilities and show us some of the quicker ways to achieve things and some things we did'nt even know was possible, there are actually 143 vids in the EOS/ION line of vids

I agree with you on the manual re:- the what each bit does, so I concour 7/10, but as learning tool (lets be honest no manual is exactly a bedtime book unless you have insomnia) I have to go back to my 4/10 it is very hard to navigate.

Bottom line is, ETC are pushing the EOS/ION range more than the Congo, seemingly on both sides of the pond, I have asked the question to the UK reps,"If I was buying a board today which one would you recommend?" they always say "for what your venue does you want the Congo" bare in mind they know I have a Congo already, Why then, at the sister venue to mine, same program of events, recommendation and purchase was the ION ??

That's why we wont see that many video's - Congo = Avab, Eos = ETC

• Hi, Thanks for your input

I think you can put it into to catagories.

1) Sometimes there is a function you need to use but you only use it once in a blue moon, so you then have to try and find it in the manual, decipher what it actually means then perform the action. usually with the visiting tech breathing down your neck. If this was available as a video then it would be much easier to spend ten mins watching the vid to "refresh your memory"

2) As you say, there are lots of things the board can do that we simply don't have time to explore/discover, again with the video's this could open up the possibilities and show us some of the quicker ways to achieve things and some things we did'nt even know was possible, there are actually 143 vids in the EOS/ION line of vids

I agree with you on the manual re:- the what each bit does, so I concour 7/10, but as learning tool (lets be honest no manual is exactly a bedtime book unless you have insomnia) I have to go back to my 4/10 it is very hard to navigate.

Bottom line is, ETC are pushing the EOS/ION range more than the Congo, seemingly on both sides of the pond, I have asked the question to the UK reps,"If I was buying a board today which one would you recommend?" they always say "for what your venue does you want the Congo" bare in mind they know I have a Congo already, Why then, at the sister venue to mine, same program of events, recommendation and purchase was the ION ??

That's why we wont see that many video's - Congo = Avab, Eos = ETC

Children
No Data
Related