Best Practices for pulling channels out of a master in use

So the request I've had now multiple times that I can't answer is this:

I have a preset on a Master Fader at full and in use in the midst of the show. Say it has 75 channels at varying intensities. Channel 26 is at full in this preset. I want to take Channel 26 down to 40%. How do I do this quickly without having to bring the master down?

On old-school consoles the keypad would override the HTP control of a master; on the Congo the HTP control of the master takes precedence.

Suggestions?

Parents
  • You can also edit the Master content Live: [Modify] & [Master_Key], then select the channel(s) and adjust.
    - Optionally hit [Update] to store the new levels if you want to keep them, otherwise they'll go back to the old levels when you change page or reload the show.

The 'right' way depends on why you want to take it down. (Doesn't everything?)

If you just want it "down right now" then Capture is better, if you are thinking "that balance is all wrong" then quickly modifying the Master may be better.

One word of warning before you use this live:
    At present, Capturing using the Wheel fades from the level in A, rather than the Live level. This means the light will snap to Zero if it is only on from a Master.

This will be fixed in Congo v6.2.0

• You can also edit the Master content Live: [Modify] & [Master_Key], then select the channel(s) and adjust.
    - Optionally hit [Update] to store the new levels if you want to keep them, otherwise they'll go back to the old levels when you change page or reload the show.

The 'right' way depends on why you want to take it down. (Doesn't everything?)

If you just want it "down right now" then Capture is better, if you are thinking "that balance is all wrong" then quickly modifying the Master may be better.

One word of warning before you use this live:
    At present, Capturing using the Wheel fades from the level in A, rather than the Live level. This means the light will snap to Zero if it is only on from a Master.

This will be fixed in Congo v6.2.0

Children
  • Thanks! That makes sense. I'd tried capture and the snap-to-zero effect was a problem I hadn't figured out how to get around; good to know it's a bug and not a feature I was mis-applying.

I think the Modify&Master Key is the primary solution for what my crew have been looking for, but I'll teach them both ways and they can choose as the circumstances are appropriate.

Looks like I'm looking forward to 6.2... just when I thought 6.1 fixed every problem I had!

Related