Net3 Radio Focus Remote Battery Issues

I have been trying to use our new RFR and every time I go to unplug the mini-USB from the charging port the unit dies. Could this be caused by a bad battery? When plugged in the unit functions normally and seems to always have a low battery warning but is still usable. When charging the unit is kept in the off position with the switch on top of the unit.

Thanks,

Zach

• well, yeah... I guess we'll have to go for wi-fi touchscreen devices eventually... :(
    unless we nail our ancient ARRi Finesse console to the wall and use it for focusing, because its IR and radio rfu still work like brand new :))... later one even trough concreete wals ;)

but you do get "p*ssed of ", when you have paid several tousand eur for a device that doesn't work propperly and manufacturer kind of doesn't give a damn about it... :(

• Hi Andrej,

what is the display screen light timeout set to on the handheld? I recommend this set to 10 seconds. This extends the charge length a lot. 10 seconds just shuts off the display light, but you don’t lose connection, and the next button press wakes up the display.
  • hi Corey,
    haven't "annoy" you over the phone for a while, so it's nice to know I can do that on the forum too... :)) ;).
    I'm on tour for last few days and will be till next Monday, so I can't check what timeout is currently set, but it is rather short... definitely not longer than 30 sec. right now I'm in theatre where they have Congo with what (except for the housing color) looks identical to our rfu... and guys here say that they have at least 5-6 hrs of non-stop battery life, so they recharge it every third day or later...
    next thing we are going to do is to connect console and base station via utp instead of usb cable... I don't think this would improve rfu's battery life :)), but it might improve its reception when battery charge is low (doubtfully, but still)... after all we had some problem with base station's usb connection and we (most likely) "fried" one usb connectors column on the back of our Gio with it... as I understand, this is "irreversible", since usb ports are "permanently welded" to the motherboard :(.
    however you turn it, this "rfu business" kind of s*cks... and "damned should be the day" when ETC decided to ditch small Expression family rfu pictured on previous page for this Eos family "contraption"... :(
  • so... checked our rfu and its backlight "time of" is now reduced to minimal 10 sec... (was 30) . hopefully, this will increase battery life at least a bit....
  • Hi Mirko,

you don't annoy me. I welcome your calls or forum posts or emails!

With fresh batteries, the RFR should hold 3-4 hours easily with 10 second timeout.
    The display takes LOTS of battery time. So going from 30 seconds to 10 seconds, should help.
Related