Colorsource AV Universes

Hey - I'm using the Colorsource AV 40.  I'm a little confused about the universe assignments.  I know how to assign a universe when I patch, but how do I access the instrument if I am only using the DMX 1 port?  Example:  If I assign an instrument to Channel 1 in universe 2, how to I go in and control it? Do I have to use the second DMX output?  If so, then how / why are there 5 internal universes?  Color me confused! 

• DMX Port #1 is Universe #1
    DMX Port #2 is Universe #2

ColorSource AV has five universes of DMX-over-Ethernet output using sACN (E1.31) or Art-Net.
    These five 'virtual' DMX outputs can be re-mapped to any network universe.
    - Think of them as a set of 'virtual' patch cables, with 5 'virtual' outputs on the back of the console and 65,000 sockets on the wall.

eg if you have two stages on the same Ethernet network, Main Stage might be using sACN 'sockets' 1 thru 5 while Studio Stage uses sACN 11 thru 15.

If you aren't using DMX-over-Ethernet, then simply ignore patch universes #3 thru #5.

• In short, yes you would have to use the second DMX socket. Ignoring sACN/Art-Net for a moment, DMX universes are physically seperate. For example, an instrument assigned to universe 1 needs a cable from DMX output one on the desk, and an instrument assigned to universe 2 would need a seperate cable connected to DMX output two on the desk. The two cables/instruments should not be connected together by a splitter or to form a ring. A physical DMX cable can only carry one universe. The exception being 5 wire cables - but then they are still physically seperate but just share the same outer sheath.

As explained in Richard's reply, it's a bit different when you start using ethernet.

Hope that helps!

Simon

Related