MIDI Time Code Using An Internal Clock?

Hello,

Currently, we use a program called ProPresenter to send MIDI notes to the Ion board to activate cues. This is good, but we want to take it one step further by activating a series of cues that run at a specified time.

With the set-up we have, is it possible to send a MIDI note from ProPresenter that tells the Ion to activate a series of cues? I want to program cues to a song, and when I activate it, the cues play to the timing I recorded.

I don't think I'm able to send an audio source to the Ion, which I believe is what you're supposed to do. Am I able to simple record the timing from the board and save a list?

Let me know if more clarification is needed.

Thanks.

• The Eos software does have an internal time code clock.  You can use MIDI notes or MSC from ProPresenter to trigger a macro on your Ion that would set the internal clock to a specific time and start the clock.  You would write a different macro (with a different trigger) for each song you want to trigger.  The internal clock—and also how to teach the time code timing to the console—is covered in the Show Control section of the Eos manual.

If ProPresenter can output MIDI Time Code, you can also send that directly into the Ion.  Either method will work, but MTC will be a touch more stable/reliable since it is locked to the clock of whatever device is generating the time code.

Hope that helps.  Post back here if you have more questions!

~P

• Hi Paul - not the OP here, but you mention sending MSC from ProPresenter, which I'm struggling with. Could you explain how this is done? All I can seem to do is send MIDI notes. Thanks!
  • Just to mention if it can send midi notes you can use them to trigger things (eg run a macro) in current EOS software, so you might not need to figure out how to get MSC out from ProPresenter.

You might also be interested to know that Pro Presenter is actually available as a fixture in the fixture library, so you can patch it on DMX artnet/sACN and control it the other way around, eg make background images/video match your lighting, although I believe there is an error in the profile with the user range set to 0-100 instead of 0-255 on the Clip Trigger, Clip Trigger2 and Clip Trigger3 but that's easy to fix.
  • Thanks for the reply! I’m actually working with a Smartfade ML; and I’d really like to be controlling the console with ProPresenter and not the other way around. Just wanted to make sure there wasn’t something obvious I was missing as far as ProPresenter and MSC goes.
Related