iTunes, QLab and OSC to Element from same computer= open network?

I have a mac mini that I use for QLAB audio playback and walkin music via iTunes and Apple Music. I'd like to start controlling my Element with OSC using the same computer-- but here's where I hit a snag. If the network for the ION should NOT be connected to the internet, but i need net access to run iTunes on the mac, and they need to be on the same network for OSC, what's the optimal network config?

• You can connect to the internet with your WiFi card, and then connect to your Element with the Ethernet port. Of, if you want wired connections for both, you can use the internal ethernet port to connect to your Element, and buy a USB to Ethernet adapter and use that to connect to the internet.
  • I'm pretty sure that Apple Music does not grant commercial use rights so you may want to confirm before getting yourself in legal difficulties.

You agree that you will not use such proprietary information or materials in any way whatsoever except for use of the Services for personal, noncommercial uses in compliance with this Agreement.

• Well, one purely technical solution would be to add a second network interface to the Mac: that way one NIC is for the lighting network and one is for the internet. A better solution, though, would be to only play music that is stored locally on the Mac so that an internet connection is not required. That's better from a reliability standpoint, and it eliminates the inherent dangers of connecting a performance-critical device to the public internet.

Another potential issue is not technical, but legal: I suspect a standard Apple Music subscription does not include performance rights for the music, so it would be problematic from a copyright standpoint to play music from that service for the public. Acquiring royalty free music, or using music for which you have the appropriate license eliminates the copyright issue and also fixes the technical problem of being dependent on an internet-based content provider.

(Of course, I am not a lawyer and this comment is not intended as legal advice.)
  • Using wifi for the internet and LAN for EOS worked like a champ. Thanks for the help with this workaround.

As for the other-- is you are paying ASCAP blanket license, does ASCAP actually care if you play off of a CD or off of a streaming service, if the same waveform reaches the ears of the audience? That seems ridiculous, but alas, I too am no lawyer... Clearly the apple service ALONE does not constitute as ASCAP/BMI/SESAC license for playing the music...
  • If you asked ASCAP, I'm sure they would care very much. But in practice, no, they aren't going to come check your signal path to figure out where the music is coming from. And since you're paying for a blanket license anyway, I would argue that your karma is pretty clean.

• Still not a lawyer, and not qualified to answer this fully... but the risk here would be that an ASCAP blanket license only covers the specific music that ASCAP represents. There will almost certainly be music in the Apple library that is either covered by BMI instead, or is independent. Determining proper licensing for a randomized playlist can be a very difficult task.
Related