Active console wheels over OSC

Hello

One thing that has been missing from the OSC API and would make things like #lighthack much more useful is the ability for the console to output the current status of each encoder (in the same ways soft keys are sent out on an update) - this may Ben deliberate to keep the programming wing valuable but it’s very annoying as it severely limits what can be done. This would also allow me to make an LCD display to remind me what each wheel does on devices without their own LCD display as I miss the display from the old ions!

Thanks

Richard

Parents
  • You can get values of attributes on encoders over osc.  You just can't mimic what the encoders on a console are doing.  I have made several usb osc devices based on #lighthack that have displays and encoders which are labeled and pageable.  I know there is one person at least who has made one that sorts the current attributes and pages them in a similar manner to what the console does.  It just takes coding on the device side.  

What you are looking for can be done but the coding is on the device side rather than the console side.  Each active wheel is assigned a number and is transmitted over osc with a name, value, and category number attached.

• I am aware I can do (and have previously done) that - however it's a messy way to do it as there is no way to capture every option of wheel types that I know of, and for many boards this would be too large an amount of string data. I previously wrote some code that pattern matched wheel names to try and guess their category which was quite successful however this is only ever going to be a bodge.

The most useful thing would be for eos to send the active wheels out - as this would allow OSC devices to work in nomad with X keys etc in exactly the same way that the wheels on the desk do. If this isn't possible then at the least sending a category for each wheel (FCBIS etc) would help. The former would also answer another recent request I saw to allow effect rates etc to be wheeled over OSC.

Richard

• Richard.  Currently Eos DOES send a category with each of the /eos/out /active/wheel transmissions.  The last argument in the line is the category for that parameter.  This does not appear to be listed in the 2.7 manual in the console but if you look at the diagnostics tab you can see the categories being transmitted.

I don't think ETC is going to mimic the actual console encoders.

• You can find more information about in the 2.7.2 manual page 560

Reply Children
No Data
Related