Fixture Profile request: Litepanels 1x1 Astra/Litepanels 1x1

I'm using a Litepanel Astra. I can't find any DMX parameter information on their website. Based on trial and error, the first address is intensity and the second address is color temperature. 0 is "daylight" and 255 is "tungsten" but what I want is actual color temperature values that correspond as closely as possible to the actual output. Their website doesn't give actual color temperature values.

While you're at it, might as well redo the profile for Litepanels 1x1 with actual color temperature too; the CT field is 0 through 100.

a)  provide a PDF or url link to the documentation for the device

I can't find any.

b)  provide a "need by" date

The sooner the better.

• Hi John:

Unfortunately we absolutely need the DMX layout at least and the manual at best in order to build a permanent profile that we can distribute.
    Perhaps you would be able to ask the manufacturer to share some information?

Thank you,
  • Hey John,

If you make a profile for the Astra and change the color temp min/max values to their calibrated temperatures EOS will mix proportionally through the range. It's not perfect but I believe all the other profiles basically do the same otherwise they'd be macros or presets.
  • The show I was working on finished yesterday and I don't need the profile any more. Also, I'm fortunate enough not to have to work with any gaffers that are that anal-retentive about color temperature. Most gaffers these days light by eye.

I'm still curious though about how Eos interpolates color temperature values. I've been assuming everything is linear. But since people often come to me for answers, I'd like to know how it really works. Does Eos ever provide a non-linear curve to match color temperature?

The 1x1 Litepanel Bi-Color has a CT parameter. I'm assuming based on the lack of information to the contrary that it's completely linear, i.e. DMX 128 is equal intensity from both the warm and cool LEDs. So if I create a profile for this light with only one CT range, it will be somewhat inaccurate towards the middle of the range.

Here's another possibility. It's possible for a fixture to take a linear profile from Eos and intelligently provide an accurate color temperature. E.G. the color temperature parameter within Eos for a Skypanel is 2800K-10,000K and that corresponds linearly to DMX values 0-255. DMX 128 would then be 6400K (I've tested and this is the case). Then the Skypanel firmware takes that DMX 128 value and puts out 6400K light (I can't test this but I would assume it is the case, based on Arri's high standards).

Related