channel labeling

It's always been a pain to me whenever wanting to label something a generic label opens and it has to be cleared before entering the wanted label. Took a few times to remember to do that after saving stuff with that generic name in the front of my labels. I never asked about having that removed because I figured if it was an issue with enough people someone would ask. I also figured there was a good reason to have it do that.

Well now I see something when labeling channels. Maybe it was always like this and I just never noticed but I don't understand why, sort of. When there is a blank channel label box, choosing to label it opens a blank label and the name can be entered and saved. But when there already is a label, which happened to me this past week, opening it again to either relabel it or to edit it, opens a blank box again. So when editing the original label it has to be retyped all over again.

Maybe this all has to do with complaints having to clear the label box and maybe this has always been the case. My brain doesn't remember stuff well these days. I know saving shows does open up the current name and it can be edited. Thank God for that and thank you ? number versions back when backspace arrowing allowed editing without having to delete in backspacing. That was a fantastic change.

So was it changed in channel labeling? Just curious.

• I think there's a chance you hit label twice and this clears the current label.
    Although I can't check this at the moment I'm sure this hasn't change and you should be seeing the current label.
    Also on nomad ctrl delete also clears the whole label.
  • Nick Simmons said:
    ctrl delete also clears the whole label.

You mean control+backspace. At least it's that way on PC.

Edit: Ueliriegg just coincidentally posted this in a comment to me in another thread.

ueliriegg said:
    there is a thing about Delete on a mac. the button with the backwards facing erasing arrow is commonly called Delete on a mac but Eos thinks of it as Backspace (because its behaviour in a windows world would be called backspace). to do what windows people call Delete, when using a reduced mac keyboard, would be Fn+Delete (Fn + that button with the backwards facing erasing arrow)

In order to avoid confusion, my plan is to continue calling it "backspace" even if it's labeled "delete" on the Mac keyboard. I'm reserving "delete" for the other "delete" key, the one next to "end". That one posts "delete" to the command line.

• Nick,

Just tried it again on my ION. While in Patch I click once on an already labeled box and it opens a blank label screen. It does not keep the label that is already in the box.
    Click on the Type box and it opens the fixture type selections but click on any pre-labeled label box and it opens a blank label screen.
    And it's an on/off toggle so double clicking just turns label on then off.
  • RND 0030946: Channel labels do not autoinsert when pressing the label column in Patch with the mouse

Using the label button works correctly. But clicking in the label cell is not posting the current label. This will be fixed in 2.6.
Related