Having trouble recording submasters to faders on my Eos

Hey there, I have a quick question about easily recording a submaster and setting it to a fader.

I recently got some training on the EOS/Ion. When I got back I made sure to update our Eos' software to the latest version (2.6.1). For the longest time I have always recorded subs by first going into fader config and assigning a sub to each fader in order then going back to live and punching in the commands to record a sub. But at training I was told I could just bring up the lights I wanted, type [record][sub] and then hit the two buttons below a fader and it would do all of the rest for me (record it to that fader and automatically assign the number to it).

But when I tried that on my EOS nothing happened. I don't have a fader wing attached, just the ten faders on the board. On the screen above each fader I see (grayed out) the numbers 1/1, 1/2, 1/3, etc... I still have to go to the fader config tab and manually assign each sub to a fader before it shows up. What am I doing wrong? I assume there is some setup step I missed? Does this only work with a fader wing? I obviously have a way to do what I want so this isn't urgent, but I'd like a simpler way to do this since I run shows from subs quite often.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

-Eric

Related