Using Universe 2 on a Gio

Hi,

I understand the syntax for addressing fixtures to other universes on a Gio, but is there any way to then access these fixtures to output? Or how does one effectively use them?

If, for example, I set up our new desk to have all our generics on Universe 1, and then place the LEDs and movers on universe 2, what would I be expecting to type in the command line to bring up the light associated with Universe 2 channel 1?

Can't seem to find anything relating to this!

Thanks,

Misha

Parents
  • I think we have a terminology confusion. In Eos and most modern consoles a channel means a control channel. That's just a name for one or more fixtures to be controlled together. A DMX starting Address is what you enter into a fixture or dimmer rack and use in patch to create a channel. A conventional will use just one address, but movers can use 20+.

Once you have fixtures starting addresses and types Patched to channels they all work the same way. Channel 1@75 works the same way no matter what universe the fixture is in. Universes are much more about the wiring. If you have an all DMX system (no network stuff) then the different universes are different wires out the back of the console. From your description I'm guessing one wire goes to your dimmer rack and so does the conventionals. The other wire goes out to the lighting positions and the 'smart' lights.

One of the really great things about control channels is that you can forget about their addresses and cabling once their patched.

Does that make sense?

• I think we have a terminology confusion. In Eos and most modern consoles a channel means a control channel. That's just a name for one or more fixtures to be controlled together. A DMX starting Address is what you enter into a fixture or dimmer rack and use in patch to create a channel. A conventional will use just one address, but movers can use 20+.

Once you have fixtures starting addresses and types Patched to channels they all work the same way. Channel 1@75 works the same way no matter what universe the fixture is in. Universes are much more about the wiring. If you have an all DMX system (no network stuff) then the different universes are different wires out the back of the console. From your description I'm guessing one wire goes to your dimmer rack and so does the conventionals. The other wire goes out to the lighting positions and the 'smart' lights.

One of the really great things about control channels is that you can forget about their addresses and cabling once their patched.

Does that make sense?

Children
Related