LED color crossfade effect

Just spent a few minutes on the phone with Alex from ETC. Issue: trying to create a simple two-color xfade continuous effect on some RGBA LED ribbon. Here's what worked:

1. Create absolute effect

2. Record Color Palettes for your LED head (see note below)

3. Action 1: leave parameter column blank. In Level column, insert "Color Palette x" (color you want in step).

4. Add Action 2 (softkey 1 on my Ion), repeat step 3 for next CP. Repeat for as many color steps as you want.

5. Set upfade and dwell timings as needed.

6. Run effect on head (chan x effect x enter)

7. Set overall intensity level by desk channel.

Note: If you've recorded your CPs as "by type", all heads of that type will play back in effect. If you're only using one head of that type and you have several patched and recorded into the CPs, you'll see a gap in your effect. So if you only want effect to run on one head, set "Grouping" to 1. All heads of that type will play back in sync.

If you want to use other heads of that type for other things, record separate CPs for only the head you want, then write separate effect using only those individual CPs.

If you need to adjust individual intensities for each color step (action), you can record a Preset for each step, including color and intensity, instead of just using a CP, and add the Preset to the "Level" column instead of the CP. Or, you can edit color levels in each individual CP playing back in the effect.

I think I got this right, any comments by more experienced programmers are welcome.

Thank you awesome ETC tech support!

Wayne Simpson

Programmer

Castle Rock

Devens, MA

Parents
  • absolute effects are great and solve many problems :)

but there are some thing i disagree with:
    - the simplest way to add Action 2 is not in the command line but just by pressing the down arrow from the cell in the Level column and fill in the next Level. so after you entered CP 3, down-arrow, CP 5, down-arrow CP 4 Enter.
    - absolute effects work great with byType palettes. only the channels that you started the effect on will decide timing. no gaps. Grouping set to Spread when running the effect on 1 channel is exactly the same as a Grouping of 1. Spread means that the effect should be run with a Grouping of the same amount as channels selected for the effect.
    - don't do separate color palettes for different situations, that's a waste of your work. be lazy :)
  • I'm going to play around with this when I get a chance... I got gaps in the effect when I had the grouping set to spread, using by type palettes, not sure why... I'll try to duplicate the issue. Thanks for the advice, Ueli, I knew there would be easier ways to do this
Reply Children
No Data
Related