RDM . . . Art-Net+sACN

Two questions here regarding data transmission.

1) RDM

I have a rig with a few Colorsource CYC units. My understanding is that my Ion Xe can update the firmware on these units as long as I have a direct connection. No Opto.

But is that no Opto provision a blanket statement or would a RDM enabled Opto allow data transmission?

2) Would I have any worries about transmitting data to different devices using both the Art-Net & sACN protocols outputting from my Ion at the same time?

I'm sure there would be a point where I used up too much bandwidth by transmitting the same data via both protocols.

but there shouldn't be any conflicts with both protocols operating on the same network, right?

• I'll jump in with my somewhat limited info.

The no Opto is just for updating firmware. I believe they are running a proprietary file transfer, rather than RDM. It's slow enough this way, making it go through RDM packets would be horrible. As would doing too many fixtures at once.

I think the short version is: how many universes are you running and are you running them all on both protocols? For details, I found this:

https://community.etcconnect.com/control_consoles/f/cobalt-family/23790/sacn-and-artnet

At the end it notes that ArtNet 4 uses sACN!

• Thanks. Great link!
    (I'm embarrassed that didn't pop up for me when I searched. My "RDM" or the "Cobalt" parameter must have skewed the search)

The next question I have is whether a wireless networking solution would work better than a wireless DMX device.
    (and for reference, my bandwidth load is not great. An Art-Net enabled video projector combined w/ a few Net3 ports.)

The details on how the firmware updates work has always been a mystery. I'm just looking for a way to do it that doesn't involve packing up & moving the entire console down to stage or 250' of DMX run through the house AND a 4-man 4-hour call.

Again, Thanks!
  • I would trust a 900mz DMX system before a 2.4mz WiFi and a 2.4mz DMX in the middle depending on several factors. This is where a site survey could be really useful. Be sure to have someone look at activity with an audience. All those phones calling out for a connection!

Read up on how to implement a wireless system, short distances and line of sight are best. There are some really cool shotgun antenna if it gets serious. But double check ways of getting a wire for anything long distance or near the audience. Hiding a Cat5 cable can be pretty easy. The issue is not bandwidth so much as timing. A really slow network can do about 100 universes, but a 3 second break in WiFi will screw up a cue in progress.

There is a fixture solution for updating. You can update one unit and then carry it around and push the update to others. A friend at a rental shop told me about going to all their CS units with a power cord and a par.

Of course if you have nodes or a gadget you could also use 'Updaterator' on a laptop. Bypassing a splitter (doing one leg at a time) isn't so bad either, so long as it's close to the booth.

• Thanks Rick.
    I am ALWAYS a fan of wires.
    but people at LDI did a good job of selling the idea of Wireless DMX, whereas I've just been checking out the specs of a 2.4 GHz DSSS sACN hub that outputs 4 universes of DMX from another company. . . It seemed kind of foolish to invest in a more limited technology.
    This might be one of those times where having an open wifi hotspot saves you from every mobile phone pinging your show control.

As far as the CS units go, if I'm correct, that's even easier than you think. One upgraded unit can then upgrade all of the other units down the chain at once.
    I've been through all of the permeations and each method is less than as easy as it was designed to be.
    A little frustrating to me, but it is what it is.

In the end I figured it was easier to live with an outdated firmware version. I'm just learning RDM & thought it might make my life easier for a nanosecond.
  • 1) That is a blanket statement for no Opto's. The update software even has a warning stating this.
    The program used to update fixtures is called UpdaterAtor, info on it can be found here www.etcconnect.com/.../UpdaterAtor.aspx

The current version of UpdaterAtor is v5.2.0. The UpdaterAtor v4.4.0 Quick Guide is still very accurate for features and functions, the major difference between v4.4.0 and v5.2.0 are graphics and supported devices.

You will need to install UpdaterAtor on a Windows PC connected to the internet to get all the latest software/firmware. Follow the "UpdaterAtor v4.4.0 Quick Guide" here: www.etcconnect.com/.../DownloadAsset.aspx

UpdaterAtor can also update ETC fixtures via ETC Net3 DMX/RDM Gateways. So if your ColorSource CYC units are connected to the Ion Xe that way, no problems.

The ColorSource CYC just recently came out, I don't believe there are any software/firmware update for them at this time.

To install UpdaterAtor and its software you do the same as you would install new EOS software on the console. Then to run UpdaterAtor in the Shell>Settings>Maintenance Tab there will be an UpdaterAtor Button.
  • as joe said updaterator needs an internet connection to receive all newest firmware files from the ETC servers. but of course internet connection is not something you want to do with your console. so you have updaterator on a PC with internet, click Setup Versions and download all newest versions (or the newest files for the products you need). then click "Save for console", this will generate a file. put updaterator installer on a USB drive and install it on the console (shell, settings, general, software update). afterwards use the same software update function to install the file that updaterator generated for you, it constains all the newest files.
    now you can use your console with updaterator with current firmware without having to connect the console to the internet.
  • I find the whole "WiFi vs Wireless DMX" argument is best summarized this way:

With WiFi, you care more that the data payload is 100% intact rather than it being on time.

With Wireless DMX you care more about the payload arriving on time, rather than it being intact.
  • I tried to run Nomad over Wifi as a client... Don't do it! it was so laggy! It shows you how weak it is. if you have cues that need to be on time don't do it!
    I would recommend you to get a Gadget II for updating. they are not that expensive and you can use it with a Nomad dongle as outputs on two dmx universes. And (I can be wrong,) as extra XLR outputs from your Ion
    And if you have only the CYC from ETC maybe you don't need a Gadget II. Maybe someone can lent you one if you need a update.
  • Right. You can use a Gadget with an Ion.
  • I think the ion had to run win7 for a Gadget to work. Check if you have two network ports and a DVI connector, that would be a win7 ion. If you see a VGA connector it's XP and the Gadget doesn't work
Related