Ion xe20 submasters crash

community.etcconnect.com/.../ETC_5F00_Logs_5F00_IonXE20_5F00_Primary_5F00_04292018_5F00_211319.zip

Ok this happened 3 times now in 2 weeks , twice during a late night programming session and now tonight during a show. Sub levels froze on stage and didn't realise until before a  B/O.  By the time next B/O came around I had figured sub 1 thru 20 out would do it. Presto. But now the subs are still unresponsive, with the values on LCD staying at 0% when pushed up.

Turning off /On the console will restore it to working order.

Log attached.

Any ideas?

Ion xe20 running 2.6.4.9.0.3

Parents
  • I had the exact same thing happen.
    community.etcconnect.com/.../ion-xe20-fader-wing-crash

The only recourse I had was to run on virtual faders & then Power Off & reboot.
  • It has just happened again top of the show.
  • Hello,

I'm sorry you're having this trouble with your IonXE20.  I would strongly recommend that you reach out to your local ETC Technical Support for assistance with a problem like this - especially when it's show-critical!

In Eos v2.7 Beta, we have a potential fix for this issue.  If you are able to use Beta code, you could

1) Join the Open Beta group ( - click on "Join this Group" in the grey bar if needed

2) Download and install the latest Beta version available

3) After your console reboots, go to the Welcome Screen > Settings > Maintenance tab > Firmware Update

4) Select/highlight "Eos Fader Wing", then press "Update".

5) Follow the on-screen prompts

6) When the update is complete, completely power-cycle the console (turn it all the way off for 60 seconds)

Your firmware should be updated to v1.0.2.9.0.12

We believe this will fix the issue, so please let us know how it goes.  You're welcome to contact me directly at mattp [at] etcconnect.com with questions or issues.

If Beta is not a viable option for you, this Firmware update will be packaged with the v2.7.0 software on its release, which is supposed to be in the next month or two.  Keep in mind that you will still need to follow the steps outlined above in order to get that new firmware applied to your faders.  The same firmware would want to be applied to any Eos Standard Fader Wings you may have as well (20 or 40 faders - note that the Standard Fader Wing 40 will appear as two entries of "Eos Fader Wing" in the Firmware Update - one for each side of the wing).

Thanks,

• Is that firmware update for the fader wings backward compatible to setups running 2.6

Two reasons for asking
    1. If someone updates the fader wing will it be impossible to plug it into a 2.6 setup after that
    2. Could Wuz and "krispyduck" simply load 2.7 upgrade the firmware and then put 2.6.4 back (or even do the upgrade on the fader wings from a PC or Mac running 2.7 nomads?
  • This firmware would work with v2.6.4 of Eos. We haven't tested backwards with older v2.6 software, so I couldn't say with 100% confidence that it would work with v2.6.1, for instance (the oldest version compatible with IonXE / Eos Standard Fader Wings).
    Firmware would need to be upgraded through a PC - that ability isn't in Mac Nomad.

Thanks,
  • Hey Matt,
    On my last communications with ETC, there was zero understanding of this issue. You were unable to duplicate the bug.
    ...but now there is a potential Fix?

Could you be a little more specific on your understanding of the problem?
    (I've been bitten on the ass a few too many times to just assume things without knowing the Whys.)
  • Hi,

The new firmware prevents a condition that could theoretically cause this failure. By artificially forcing the condition in the office, we were able to cause the fader board to fail in exactly the way that has been reported, and confirm that the change prevents it. Since we haven’t been able to reproduce the failure in the course of normal testing yet, we are not 100% sure that this is THE fix for the problem.

It's definitely possible that this doesn't resolve krispyduck 's issue, since that seems to be happening much more frequently than the trouble you described. So if it doesn't, the best thing would be to get that console sent in for repair.
  • Thanks for the info guys, I received a new console today and to send off faulty one for repair. This was due to a different problem with a sub load keys that were sunk in. Nothing to do with this problem I think as the sub isn't active. Will transfer over the new desk and see how it runs. Then maybe change to the beta. Will update here if problem happens with new console.
  •  know this is an old post but reading the response here I have to ask if all of us Wing users need to do that EOS Fader Wing Firmware update even though we may have done the latest console updates?

• Thanks for bringing this one back up.  Yes, if you have an Ion XE 20 or Standard Fader Wing (or Element 2), there is new firmware that fixes an additional race condition that would cause the faders and buttons to become unresponsive.  That new firmware is available as part of Eos Family v2.7.3 and is definitely recommended for all users.

If you need to stay at an older version of Eos for some reason, you're welcome to contact Technical Services directly, or send me a message, and we can get you just the firmware you need, separately from the Eos v2.7.3 console update.

• Thanks for bringing this one back up.  Yes, if you have an Ion XE 20 or Standard Fader Wing (or Element 2), there is new firmware that fixes an additional race condition that would cause the faders and buttons to become unresponsive.  That new firmware is available as part of Eos Family v2.7.3 and is definitely recommended for all users.

If you need to stay at an older version of Eos for some reason, you're welcome to contact Technical Services directly, or send me a message, and we can get you just the firmware you need, separately from the Eos v2.7.3 console update.

Children
Related