Screen saver under Nomad

On a Windows 7 Nomad system, I'd like my monitors to go to a screen saver after a certain amount of time.   I've tried using the standard windows settings under screen saver and the power plan settings, but nothing seems to work when Nomad is running.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Steve

Parents
  • I imagine it’s intentional- you really wouldn’t want the screen saver popping up mid show just because you haven’t touched the keyboard.

As a matter of interest why do you want a screen saver anyway - they don’t really make any difference to an lcd screen and even if you were using an old crt or plasma screen where it does make a difference, would you really have nomads running so much that it could burn a screen
  • Well, this installation is at a church where it is only used for programming for about 6 hours a week, but needs to be on for house light control 24/7. I wanted to set the screen saver for about 2 hours so the monitor wouldn't run the rest of the week. If I manually turn off monitors, Nomad gets wiggy and wants to shift displays around and things don't come back quite right when the monitors are turned back on. Also, there is the extra power and the fact that LCD burn-in still exists, if less of a problem than in the CRT era.

Steve
  • Well, this installation is at a church where it is only used for programming for about 6 hours a week, but needs to be on for house light control 24/7. I wanted to set the screen saver for about 2 hours so the monitor wouldn't run the rest of the week. If I manually turn off monitors, Nomad gets wiggy and wants to shift displays around and things don't come back quite right when the monitors are turned back on. Also, there is the extra power and the fact that LCD burn-in still exists, if less of a problem than in the CRT era.

Steve
Children
  • Its probably not going to be possible to re enable it if nomads is disabling it as the usual way to stop the screen the screensaver when you are writing a program that doesn't want the screen saver to cut in, is to catch the internal SC_SCREENSAVE windows message and return 0 to tell it its not to proceed. If that's what etc has done its pretty impossible to override the block.

I suspect even if you succeeded you may still get the behaviour you observe with nomads shuffling the displays around when it sees they are not there.

So I suppose that comes back to trying to understand why the desk has to stay on for the house light control. One assumes that the house lights are off for most of the week, so does someone go to the desk to switch them on or have you got some other mechanism in place to remotely operate the desk.

It kind of feels like you might want to arrange something where the house light control didn't need the desk but the desk still had authority over them when its switched on, which is all perfectly possible reasonably easily (and in places like school setups the norm). Then an approach like Wuz's with the desk shutting down at the end of the day would be practical - although leaving the user to do it manually might be safer if you sometimes get adhoc - events - probably would be very stressful if the desk shutdown in the middle of one of those due to forgetting to turn off the RTC show control.
  • Mike A said:
    probably would be very stressful if the desk shutdown in the middle of one of those due to forgetting to turn off the RTC show control.

You're no fun.

Related