Convert a broken Ion Console into a Programming Wing for Nomad

Hi, in the theatre I work in we have two ION Consoles, one for in-house use and an older one for touring and backup. As it happens those two have been starting to get less and less reliable up to the point, where we can not really rely on either of them. As they both have problems with the boot-up and the theatre being on a tight budget, we have gotten ourselves a nomad system and since we found out that a thing like the Eos Programming Wing exists, we have been asking ourselves, if it would be possible to convert our broken IONs into a Programming Wing.

Has anyone done anything similar, or can anyone confirm that this is even possible?

any help is highly appreciated, thank you very much.

Parents
  • First of all, please back everything up! It seems to be that it is the computer part of your desk that is not working reliably anymore. If you’d open up your ion you will see that there is a PC inside with a Nomad-like dongle glued to one of the internal USB ports. In theory you could just bypass the PC part and replace it with a new pc, just like you would do with a nomad system. This saves you the money of buying a new dongle and a program wing. It takes some effort and tech savvy-ness to do this and you need to find a way to package the new setup in a such a way that it is reliably to work with. Also this method is totally unsupported. I wouldn’t use this frankensystem for shows, until thoroughly tested. 

• First of all, please back everything up! It seems to be that it is the computer part of your desk that is not working reliably anymore. If you’d open up your ion you will see that there is a PC inside with a Nomad-like dongle glued to one of the internal USB ports. In theory you could just bypass the PC part and replace it with a new pc, just like you would do with a nomad system. This saves you the money of buying a new dongle and a program wing. It takes some effort and tech savvy-ness to do this and you need to find a way to package the new setup in a such a way that it is reliably to work with. Also this method is totally unsupported. I wouldn’t use this frankensystem for shows, until thoroughly tested. 

Children
No Data
Related