how to record only one color of a fixture

I am blank on this. I have some Chauvet Vesuvios and Geysers. I want to put ONLY red on a fader (or any other single color) and nothing else at all. Well I selected the matching fixtures and picked 0 for all colors except red which I picked 100. I then did a record only to a sub. The sub is set to I-master. When I bring up the sub the colors all fade from 100 to 0 and Red goes from 0 to 100. If I hit the bump it will flash red.

I just want Red to fade on and the other colors to remain at 0 the whole time.

Split similar question:

I have the subs set to Man for these fixtures and when I hit the bump they do flash on however when I have a par or leko recorded on a sub and the same settings the bump will not flash it on.

So not sure why the multi-channel fixture works but a single channel dimmer channel does not.

• The trick is to selectively record the red parameter instead of the unqualified record which recorded every attribute.

Channel x {red} Record Sub y Enter

where {red} can be entered via a click on the CIA attribute tile or ML control header.

• Ooops yep. Now what about intensity. I need to have that at full also. When I hit red then intens either full or 100 then record it give an error.

• I already did the red. So I did Channel X intens Full enter. then update sub 54 enter. it looks like it worked. The only things that populate in the live table are red and intensity, both in yellow but i dont know until i connect the fixtures if with intensity on full and the other colors showing grey 100 will come up white. i'm thinking not since that is probably why they show grey?

• You don't want to record the intensity in the same sub as otherwise you wouldn't be able to mix the colours in a way that makes any sense.

At the moment its kind of working with red almost by accident as if the sub is still an i-Master the red is probably snapping to 100 but the intensity is varying with the fader. 

So what you actually need to do is set the intensity to 100 either on the home of the fixture in the patch or on a cue or probably more usefully on another sub (so you can vary intensity independently of colour mix).

Remove the intensity from the Red sub so its just the red its controlling

Then set the sub to Proportional so it varies the non intensity params rather than snapping them.  (and obviously record the green and blue the same as the red)

• That's great for mixing however I am only using these as Red and only thru the subs. They will be completely manually controlled. So will it work with intensity and only red?

• If you are really never wanting to bring up two subs that control these light,  ie you literally want the light to snap to red as you start to move the fader from whatever colour it was before,  then you do actually record the sub as 

channel x intensity + red 100

channel x green+blue 0

and set as an intensity master

However you'll probably find it annoying to work that way very quickly.   You will also need to decide if you set it last takes precedence or highest takes precedence which effects the intensity.

In LTP as you move the fader the light was already on it will black out and then fade up in the colour.

In HTP as you move the fader the light will remain on but snap to the colour.

In you program it the other way where you can colour mix this is all a bit less abrupt

• One other thing to watch for is that in the colour mix scenario if the background value of the colour isn't zero then it can be confusing as fading out the fader returns the value to the current background (which if the channel is not owned by a cue or another sub might be the 100% which is often the home value in the patch,  So as you fade down the red increases to 100)

• I know this is going to happen but so far what you are suggesting isn't. I appreciate your help more than you know and sorry for being a bit of a pain.

I really am not going to use the foggers in the show as any color other than red and they will only be operated from subs which will be blocked from recording and Shielded. I don't like putting fog blasters in cues. The will be NO blasters, foggers anywhere in any cues.

So recording the standard 504 enter. ML controls set green, amber, blue and uv to 0 and red 100 and record sub 54 works and when bringing up the imaster sub 54 red fades up to full and on the Live Table it  shows all other parameters at 0 in yellow. Actually amber, green, blue color mix, cmismart, shutter strobe and fog are always at 0 in yellow and 100 is red always. The only thing that changes on the Live Table is the intensity.

That absolutely will work for my application however I really would like to get it straight what your are suggesting for use of these blasters in live busked productions.

So here is what I am having trouble with:

channel 504 red record sub 54 enter. That does only record red but as you know there is no intensity associated with it.

So I have no idea how to get just intensity into the next sub. When I do 504 intens 100 record it gives a Record syntax error. If I do it and hit enter it populates all fields on the Live Table. So recording the sub then will record all params at 100 and fade the intens up and down.

At least it does not record the fog output because it is a two part fixture but all colors go to 100.

So I would be blessed on the proper way to record only intensity on a sub that will allow me to bring up the red sub (54) then when I want it to show bring up the intensity sub (55).

The same thing happens when I try to record 504 Fog 100 (or Full) when I select record it gives the same Record syntax error.

• compare the syntax that works and the one that doesn't...

Channel 504 red record sub 54 enter.
    Channel 504 intens 100 record...

in the second case you're trying to combine two commands in one: one command to set a level and one to specifically record. that doesn't work. 

• What I am seeing is selective recording can't be for more than one thing. So to make an intensity sub I just do channel 504 intens record sub 54 enter and when I bring it up it then runs from 0 to 100 and back down.

Same for Fog or any other single item.

It's a little confusing since when recording cues there can be multiple commands.

• No you can record multiple parameters in a single sub.

Your problem earlier with the syntax is that with red you did it right and set the red to 100 first and then did the record command,  but when you did intensity you tried to set it in the record command.

So if you want to record bits the following are examples

channel 1  record sub 1  records all of them

channel 1 red record sub 1  records red

channel 1 red blue record sub 1  records red and blue

channel 1 intensity red record sub 1 records intensity and red

You may find it useful in the subs tab select a single sub (make sure it is a single sub as that screen likes to select several if you are not careful)  then press the Edit button on the bottom right of the screen.  You should then get a table view of the content of the sub (you can press flexi a few times to just display the fixtures with values in the sub).

From that screen you can correct things and also its useful to see what you've actually got in the sub as sometimes you can end recording something you didn't.

• I haven't been closely following this thread, but I haven't seen anyone recommend changing the HOME position of the LED unit, which will do away with the need for recording the intensity of the channel.

(not at my console at the moment)

somewhere in set up (systems?) is the Home Preset 'enter the number here" box.

in Live, Sneak Enter, then record the LED channels at full intensity as preset 99.9 (or whatever).  in the Home Preset box, enter 99.9.

SNEAK ENTER to change from the home position of 0% to the new home position of 100%.

Then do as others have described, recording ONLY the red parameter onto a sub handle. 

typically, intensities home to 0% (Home is OFF).  this wants to be changed so that pushing the red handle up, the intensity is already set by the Home Preset (of FULL)

Hope this helps.

Andrew

• Home preset ignores intensities, so no, that doesn't work. You need the intensities to come from somewhere. Cue or sub..

• I just typed a long reply and hit Reply and as got a reply error and my work disappeared. I should have learned to copy my reply before sending as this happens often. So I will try again:

I am the first to admit that in some areas of console language I am completely in the dark. I just can't get my brain to understand the language it speaks in some circumstances and this is definitely one. I apologize to everyone who is on the road to frustration reading my replies.

I see this all the time: an instructor, who knows the topic inside and out, either technically or from experience has a hard time explaining to someone raw how a certain thing works because that instructor sees it clearly and the student does not. I am one who does not see this.

I will understand completely anyone who chooses to step away from trying to clear my fog but to those who choose to hang in there you will never know how much I will appreciate it.

Here are some examples given with my comments as to why it either works or not: I will attach a name before each example ONLY to refer to who made it above and NOT raising any issue with it.

Uelireigg: 504 red record sub 54 enter: I know it works because that is what I was told to do, however I don't know why it works because red is not assigned a value. All I can think is the value will automatically refer to the fixture default setting in the fixture library, therefore if that setting is what I want sub 54 to reach then no specific red value is needed. If this thought is incorrect then I need a little direction how sub 54 knows that value red should go to when raised.

Note: when I recorded sub 54 in that manner and brought it up, fixture 504 red showed nothing happening in the Live Table. I would think the red value would either snap to 100 in yellow or snap to 0 and progress to 100 in yellow as the fader is raised.

Me: 504 intens 100 record sub... My "thought" on this not working is not so much because I am trying to combine two commands into one but why it sees me as trying to combine two commands into one when in an earlier example it was ok to enter a value - channel x intens + red 100 (two commands in one red 100.

MikeA: channel x green+blue 0 - same as the last one - isn't that trying to combine two commands into one? Why not?

MikeA: channel 1 red blue record sub 1 - why is no + sign needed when in the last example it is?

Me: 504 intens record sub 54 - no one has said this is the correct command for an intensity only sub and if so how does it know what value that sub intens will reach at full? Lets say I want the intensity to only go to 50% when the fader is all the way up. How does that get put into the record sub string? I ask this to hopefully help me see how to keep strings in the proper order without combining more than one thing into a command.

MikeA: channel 1 intensity red record sub 1 - Same question as above: how does the sub know what values intens and red use when bringing it up? Unless this has already been answered.

MikeA: you replied: Your problem earlier with the syntax is that with red you did it right and set the red to 100 first and then did the record command,  but when you did intensity you tried to set it in the record command. I don't see where I set red to 100 first in any of my previous comments. That's very confusing to me.

I am having faith that the light will suddenly turn on and I will say: OH how stupid of me. Why did I not see that? and walk away blessed, a scratch smarter and scratching my head all at the same time.

• My Bad.  I had it backwards:

this may not work for Jeff, if he still wants normal LED control beyond his one Red Only sub.

for 3 colour mixing by 3 sub handles:

record each sub with only Red data, Green Data, Blue data.  make sure to NOT have a 0 for the other  colours.  the sub also needs the Intensity for the Channel.

Make a Preset for Home: where each colour is recorded at 0%

make that preset the Home preset.

In Live, sneak the channels so the LED colours move from 100% home to 0% home.

Now fade up 1 channel, 1 colour should appear.  fade up another channel and you'll colour mix between those 2 colours.  pull down 1st sub, and you should have only the 2nd colour up.

In Jeff's specific example, you just need to 1 sub for your red, and ignore making G and B subs.

Hope this helps.  stepping out now before I make it worse.

Andrew

Related