Moving Head Control Philosophy

So I have 4 MH;s (all in GRP1).

I want cue 1 to set their individual P&Ts to point to (focus) one area on-stage. Presumably Preset 1 

Then I want the next cue to re-point (change P&T) all of them to a different area. Presumably Preset 2.

What is the easiest. most efficient way to  do this? Would I make a FP for each MH with its unique P&T and plug all FPs into my Preset. And, repeat this for the 2nd Preset?

On some videos I've seen folks using Encoder wheels to position MHs. ELE2 doesn't have any, but I'm sure the underlying Palette / Preset would be the same. 

• A Focus Palette contains pan/tilt values for one or many fixtures - so for each fixture in Group 1, point them at the first area.

Then select Group 1 and record Focus Palette 1. (If you record as Preset 1 - it will by default capture all parameters for the fixture,not just pan and tilt)

Repeat by selecting each fixture in Group 1 and pointing them at area 2 and recording the whole group of fixtures into Focus Palette 2.

You don't record a separate focus palette for each fixture in each position - that's way too much work and defeats the purpose of building palettes.

-Todd

• The moment you not only touch pan and tilt, but also e.g. Zoom, then a FP is not enough and you will need a preset. But you can easily record this parameters directly into a preset without recording an FP and a BP first and then nesting those into the preset.

As Todd mentioned: presets try to take all available parameters. That's where command line filtering comes in. To only record the focus and beam category (but not intensity nor color) type Chan 1 Thru 4 Focus Beam Record Preset 1 Enter

• Wow! a heck of a lot simpler. It's time like these I see the true power of the console/EOS.

After a couple of hours work on EOS at home and your assistance I believe I can now run MHs. True lots of bells whistles and so on to learn but "Every journey etc etc. Thanks guys

Related