Running EOS on Macbook Pro

preface: newbie question.

so, i've downloaded and installed the mac version of etc eos nomad on my macbook pro and and amazed at how close it is to what i see on my etc ion xe 20 console (i *do* need to come up with another monitor Wink).  what do i need to add to get dmx out of my mac to run lights or can the emulator really do that?

thanks!
jack

• Its not surprising that its close to what you see on the ion as its the same software (just a mac build rather than the windows one in the ion).

You've really got two options to get DMX out.   Either the etc gadget which is USB to DMX or use a network to DMX device (google sacn to dmx).

I prefer the later as USB things seem to be a bit less robust than using standard network connectivity and if you've got a larger rig its way easier to run multiple universes.

If you are thinking of connecting to your exiting rig you may well find the ion is connected using the network option already in which can you can actually talk to the rig with no additional hardware other than an ethernet out from the mac.

You will also in both cases, need the licence dongle or the lights flash every five minutes to stop you using it without a licence.

• Thanks for the response Mike!  Didn't even think about the ethernet/sACN route. 

Related