LED Lighting

Our theatre is running 96 channels to a SENSOR 48 dimmer rack. ALL lamps are incandescent. Snooping around I found a DMX512 outlet "Y" 'd to the dimmer racks line so for my education I bought an inexpensive LED light. I'm well read on DMX512 lines, addressing, protocols etc.

Question; If I program my new LED dimmer's 1st channel address to, say 101, I'll need to send it (and some subsequent addresses) an 8 bit code. On the board it's normal to select a channel and enter a % for an incandescent. So how do I address my LED's code needs? Is it a case of back converting the % figure to 8 bits?  

Parents
  • Are you running Express / Expression? What LED fixture are you using? When you say the LED is 8-bts, do you mean it is an 8-Channel LED?

Regarding your DMX: please confirm you have a 1-In 5-out opto-splitter? (a box of some kind that is splitting the DMS line)
  • Running Expression 3. Using a dirt cheap 'DualFire 18 LED Par Light'. "B bits" refers to the DMX512 data bits sent to the device with the appropriate address (DIM#) on that universe. My cheapo is a 7 channel device (takes up 7 CH on board). Each CH can take a values of 0-255 or a sub range within that. Ref the splitter. Yes - it is a professionally installed splitter.
  • Yeah, I think he was asking about the splitter because the way you described it made it sound like a splitter cable — something you never want to use in DMX chains.
  • Oh heavens forbid! I traced my neighbor poor TV reception to a spliced TV cable! His reply to my gasp of horror was "Well, I wanted to run two TV's!" Being deeply into digital comms (W4JPA) I actually had nightmares of his SWR ratio visiting me at night.

As soon as the theatre quietens down I'm going to sneak in with the LED and try it out. I know the book goes on about "Personalities" but I'm pretty sure for starters I can merely address the 1st and subsequent CH#'s, fire some numbers & to watch the action.
  • If desired, you could build a fixture personality for it in the offline editor.
  • Now that's a good idea. I bought a USB 3.5" floppy drive to be able to Tx stuff but the wretched thing didn't work and I sent it back. I'll download that program tonight. Just hung a couple more spots and having my lunch using a back stage amplifier to blast out my music. Being totally alone in a theatre is kinda cool.
  • Well - I got Freestyler and built a profile for this cheapo LED and had the thing up'n running at home in no time. Great DMX lesson. But alas the trip to the theatre with it was a bust. We have 3 universes leaving the board although we only connect to a single SENSOR 48 Dimmer rack. An outlet on the wall says DMX Port 2 but looks like it's "Y" 'd (Optically isolated) to the 1st universe. But setting dimmers and channels to say 128 and my gizmo to 121 then sending 50% to CH 6 and 7 (which worked fine in Freestyle) didn't do a thing! I would give my eye teeth to know who/how this wiring was run.

And really weird; On the console, I can set # of dimmers to say 1536 (512 x 3) fine but can ONLY set # of CH's to < 400 ! My idea was to use an address > 512 to see if that outlet really was in the 2nd universe. I thought I was getting pretty good at this stuff but now stalled. Pity because I wanted to buy a couple more LED's for some special effects in "Joseph and the . . . . coat" coming up. Thinking cap time.
  • Email me your venues name and full address and I’ll see if I can find the wiring diagrams for how the DMX was (at least) originally wired. mmeskill@etcconnect.com
  • Based on the submittal / field service drawings (I need to find the ‘as built to confirm):
    3 DMX inputs in the Booth.
    DMX 1 to the Sensor Rack
    DMX 2 to the Stage on a plate with RFU
    DMX 3 to the House
    Based on this, DMX 2 from the board should be wired directly to the DMX 2 output on the stage. Try to remove any external splitter and plug directly to the Output and see if that works.
    Also, I was a little unclear on your addressing. DMX Port 2 from the board would be dimmer 513 in patch; DMX 3 output would be dimmer 1025 in patch; Soooo Dimmer 513 will output from Port 2 as DMX 1. Try patching dimmer 513 to channel 101; 514 to channel 102; 515 to channel 103 and so on for the number of channels your fixtures needs. On the fixture end set your DMX start address to 1.
Reply Children
No Data
Related