Integrated Infra-red LEDs in Colorsource Fixtures

Just a thought I had pass through my head, throwing it out there to see what people think. Feel free to tell me how stupid I am.

I, like many people, have IR Cameras in my theatre. but being in the back of the house, the built in IR LEDs don't illuminate the stage much. Also, they're on the same axis as the camera, so specks of dust appear to be the brightest things on screen.

To alleviate these problems, you install IR Illuminators. But these are mostly made for security systems and feature DC power plugs and are tiny and hard to mount.

.... So what if a Colorsource fixture had an integrated IR LED in its matrix?

This would be useless in a Colorsource CYC, but very useful function in a Colorsource PAR.... Possibly even in a Spot unit?

You could have the additional menu setting to have the IR LED:

"Always On"

"Always Off" (so you don't ruin any live to video with an IR wash)

"On while dark" (which would turn on the IR LED when the visible light LEDs were off)

Parents
  • We found some IR flood illuminators that are A/C that are light sensitive online and have them connected to a dimmer. We then park the dimmer at full or out depending on if there are cameras in play. All together about $100.

• I have 2× $6 IR illuminators mounted in my FOH rail that power on with my camera... My proposal was not because it's expensive, but because it's so cheap. Why not add an IR LED to existing fixtures and eliminate the added hassle?

The hard part is having enough IR illumination and focusing a light outside of our visible spectrum. Both would be eliminated as you're focusing your PARs with visible light and are likely creating an even wash. (To this day, I have no idea where my illuminators are focused as I have no monitor where they are mounted. I just guessed.)

• I imagine it's because real estate in fixtures is already at a premium. Raising the price point of a fixture for what would most likely be considered an "edge case scenario" doesn't make a whole lot of business sense. Granted, you're not the only group with this use case, one has to understand the economics of fixture development.

• I imagine it's because real estate in fixtures is already at a premium.

That's a perfectly valid reason.

but as far as price-point goes, a few IR LEDs and circuitry are only going to add ~50¢ per unit. (on the cheap)

and ultimately, that's why this was only a suggestion. If it's possible to add this feature in the next generation of fixture, great! but no one is asking to redesign the current generation for this trivial add.

but thanks for the reply. It's nice to get some actual feedback on my crazy ideas.

• I imagine it's because real estate in fixtures is already at a premium.

That's a perfectly valid reason.

but as far as price-point goes, a few IR LEDs and circuitry are only going to add ~50¢ per unit. (on the cheap)

and ultimately, that's why this was only a suggestion. If it's possible to add this feature in the next generation of fixture, great! but no one is asking to redesign the current generation for this trivial add.

but thanks for the reply. It's nice to get some actual feedback on my crazy ideas.

Children
No Data
Related