EOS v.2.9.2 and 3.0: What does running alongside one another mean?

Hi There,

We have an Ion (Backup) and a Gio (Primary).  I saw Nick's post about the release of software version 2.9.2 recently and thought nothing of it, because I assumed I had new enough consoles to run v3.0 on both of them.  I was wrong.  The update worked on the Gio but, with our Ion, I got the error message "the 3.0 application is designed to operate on 64 bit editions."  If my Ion is not 64bit, what is it out of curiosity?

So, then I referred to the ETC Release notes of version 2.9.2.  It says Eos v2.9.2 may also be installed on Windows 7-based (though,I'm pretty sure my console is XP) hardware alongside Eos 3.0.0 and later software versions.  What exactly does "alongside Eos 3.0.0" mean?  I thought that it might mean that I could network my Ion running 2.9.2, with my Gio running 3.0, but that didn't work for me.

Will my situation be that whenever I use our backup console, that I'll have to switch the Gio to 2.9.8 with that new button in the shell? Or am I missing something?

Thank you so much!

• Oh my goodness. Super embarrassing moment for me right now and I can't find how to delete my post. I just realized my console is indeed XP.  I always thought it was Windows 7 and that I did not need the upgrade.  Well, that makes sense why it wouldn't work.  Never mind.  I guess I will have to use 2.8.2 for now and check with the boss to see if we can send it in for an upgrade.  You guys did extend that date right?

• according to this article (Ion Windows 7 Upgrade Eligibility) it was extended, subject to parts availability.

you can update to 2.9.2. being on an XP console means you can go to the highest 2.x there is, but not to 3.x

• It says Eos v2.9.2 may also be installed on Windows 7-based (though,I'm pretty sure my console is XP) hardware alongside Eos 3.0.0 and later software versions.  What exactly does "alongside Eos 3.0.0" mean?  I thought that it might mean that I could network my Ion running 2.9.2, with my Gio running 3.0, but that didn't work for me.

On Windows 7 Consoles (and Nomad including Puck) you can have both 2.9.x and 3.0.0 installed "side-by-side".  On consoles (including Pucks) you exit to the shell and there is a button in the General Tab to {Switch to Eos X.X.X} and will prompt for you to restart your console.  On PCs you can install both versions and will have shortcuts to each (only one can be run at a time).  On Macs you can only have one version installed in the Applications directory.

The information for Nomad is also covered here: Running Different Versions of ETCnomad - Electronic Theatre Controls Inc

Related