Lighting Software(PC) vs. Lighting Console

I have read a couple threads and some information on this, but wanted to get some feedback on my specific situation.

I am the technical director at my church and we are currently have an opportunity to possibly get a really good deal on a used lighting console, but I wanted to make sure it was the right decision.

In terms of lighting we are using 10 PAR 64 RGB LED's, 2 Elation design spots, 8 non-dimmable LED's and the house lights of course. The controller we are using is a PC loaded with Compulive2006.

I have been looking at changing at least the software for a while as I feel as if the Compulive2006 program does not have all the features that I would like to have in a lighting controller.

The Question: Should I...
1.) stick with what I have
2.) change to better functioning software(magicQ, BlueLite, etc...)
3.) purchase an ETC Express 24/48 for $2000
4.) purchase an ETC Express 48/96 for $3000
5.) purchase an ETC Obsession II Lighting Console for $3000

Please note that as we do not have a ton of fixtures right now, we are going through a major expansion and could possible be adding more fixtures soon, so I want to have the capability to utilize whatever new fixtures we come across.

Thanks for the input!

Parents
  • To be honest, I would not recommend Express or Obsession II for moving lights and LEDs, as they were never really designed for them.
    (LEDs didn't even exist back then!)

Given the size of your lighting rig and your budget, I would usually recommend a brand-new ETC SmartFade ML console.
    - Looking online I found it for approx. $2000 from several retailers, you might even find it cheaper.

This has two DMX universes and will control up to 24 'multi-parameter' fixtures (eg your PAR46 LEDs and Design Spots) plus 48 dimming or switching channels, so you'll have plenty of space for future expansion.

SmartFade ML has effects, submasters, direct selects for busking and fast programming and a theatre stack so works very well for this kind of space.

The free SmartSoft application then gives you a live onscreen display, and an offline editor.

If you think you're likely to expand beyond the 24 moving lights of SmartFade ML and your budget will stretch a little further, then the next step up would be an ETC Element.

• To be honest, I would not recommend Express or Obsession II for moving lights and LEDs, as they were never really designed for them.
    (LEDs didn't even exist back then!)

Given the size of your lighting rig and your budget, I would usually recommend a brand-new ETC SmartFade ML console.
    - Looking online I found it for approx. $2000 from several retailers, you might even find it cheaper.

This has two DMX universes and will control up to 24 'multi-parameter' fixtures (eg your PAR46 LEDs and Design Spots) plus 48 dimming or switching channels, so you'll have plenty of space for future expansion.

SmartFade ML has effects, submasters, direct selects for busking and fast programming and a theatre stack so works very well for this kind of space.

The free SmartSoft application then gives you a live onscreen display, and an offline editor.

If you think you're likely to expand beyond the 24 moving lights of SmartFade ML and your budget will stretch a little further, then the next step up would be an ETC Element.

Children
  •  I would agree with the above.  As a long-time Expression/Express/Emphasis user, integration of LED (kinda ok) and moving lights (quite a pain) is a challenge.  the ML referenced above will be a great solution assuming the basic size of the rig described.  If you really are serious about expanding your rig, the ML may quickly run out of "headroom" in terms of efficient fixture count.  The console will deal with a fairly high number of fixtures at 24, but it gets kind of hard to operate them quickly when programming.  At that point you may need to consider Element/Ion to be quick.

However, I'd also say as far as selection between software and "hardware" based solutions, it really is more a question of how you (and/or your volunteers) like to work.  My general rule-of-thumb is that if you have a background in theatrical controls operation, you will likely have a difficult time adapting to a wholly software-based system.  If you have no console "habits" many software-based make make perfect sense to you, but it will depend on your level of "computer intimidation".  The biggest problem is selecting a software package that actually does the things that you need it to efficiently.  There are a lot of software systems that claim they work well with X-Y-Z , but when you get into programming they are difficult to navigate.

DEMO, DEMO, DEMO.  Ask around other churches in the area and see if they have the kind of setup you need to run, or ask a local dealer if they can demo a console for you (ideally at your facility).  Get off-line version of software (both hardware consoles and software).  Most of these will have full operability, they just won't be able to actually control lights. 

Good luck!

Related