Lighting Software(PC) vs. Lighting Console

I have read a couple threads and some information on this, but wanted to get some feedback on my specific situation.

I am the technical director at my church and we are currently have an opportunity to possibly get a really good deal on a used lighting console, but I wanted to make sure it was the right decision.

In terms of lighting we are using 10 PAR 64 RGB LED's, 2 Elation design spots, 8 non-dimmable LED's and the house lights of course. The controller we are using is a PC loaded with Compulive2006.

I have been looking at changing at least the software for a while as I feel as if the Compulive2006 program does not have all the features that I would like to have in a lighting controller.

The Question: Should I...
1.) stick with what I have
2.) change to better functioning software(magicQ, BlueLite, etc...)
3.) purchase an ETC Express 24/48 for $2000
4.) purchase an ETC Express 48/96 for $3000
5.) purchase an ETC Obsession II Lighting Console for $3000

Please note that as we do not have a ton of fixtures right now, we are going through a major expansion and could possible be adding more fixtures soon, so I want to have the capability to utilize whatever new fixtures we come across.

Thanks for the input!

Parents
  • I have an Express 250 with 5 generic LED PARs. The LED units have been great addition to our small inventory. But, control is a bit of a bother. I was able to create fixture definitions for them, but the device parameter labels only had CMY, not RGB. So Cyan is used for Blue, Magenta for Red and Yellow for Green. Next comes the issue of setting levels. Working with one fixture is fine, but if I want the same values in the other devices, the easiest way I've found is to define groups for the Red, Blue, Green and Intensity channels.

We are moving to a new venue that already has a Hog PC to control their lights. I've used MagicQ PC before, and finally got half an understanding of how it worked. My main complaint with PC based systems is the lack of real knobs and dedicated buttons. Being able to reach over and adjust something on the fly is invaluable. Especially if I just need to add an extra light(or two), and will need to fade it out with the cue fading how does one click the go button on-screen, and fade down a virtual fader at the same time.

I've had my eye on getting an ION, but that is going to have to wait until we finish raising money for our new building.

• I have an Express 250 with 5 generic LED PARs. The LED units have been great addition to our small inventory. But, control is a bit of a bother. I was able to create fixture definitions for them, but the device parameter labels only had CMY, not RGB. So Cyan is used for Blue, Magenta for Red and Yellow for Green. Next comes the issue of setting levels. Working with one fixture is fine, but if I want the same values in the other devices, the easiest way I've found is to define groups for the Red, Blue, Green and Intensity channels.

We are moving to a new venue that already has a Hog PC to control their lights. I've used MagicQ PC before, and finally got half an understanding of how it worked. My main complaint with PC based systems is the lack of real knobs and dedicated buttons. Being able to reach over and adjust something on the fly is invaluable. Especially if I just need to add an extra light(or two), and will need to fade it out with the cue fading how does one click the go button on-screen, and fade down a virtual fader at the same time.

I've had my eye on getting an ION, but that is going to have to wait until we finish raising money for our new building.

Children
No Data
Related