new to forum-question about stacking ques(pile on)

wondering how to stack or pile on ques--heres the trick though--need to do it sending midi from a creston control

I have played back ques using the midi before but they were crossfades--so the protocal and remote control is not the issue

I just need to pile on about 10 or 12 cues onto a base "look" all these pile on cues will run dmx chns that are not competing with each other --any advice or suggestions would be appreciated

Parents
  • I'd probably stay away from making it a bunch of cues, and look at using submasters as your individual adder items.  The base look could be a cue, but you can't play back more than one on each set of faders on the Expression series consoles. Even then, they are HTP pileon to each other, and won't necessarily cancel each other out.

You could assign a in/hold/out time to each sub, and then have them triggered via a MIDI command to hit their bump button to trigger them on or off.  I believe the same command could  conceivably be used for both (sub bump,) or you may be able to send individual sub # on, and sub # off commands.  I haven't played much with MIDI triggers on the console, so I don't know all the commands, but I have used sub bump on and sub bump off commands with the remote macro inputs to trigger events, so I imagine that the MIDI version would work similarly.

Good luck.

Dennis Witte
    Holzmueller Productions
    San Francisco

• reading the manual it seems that I can do what you suggest with the pile on submaster--But I do not think I can bump submasters with the midi--unless I can fire a macro and have the bump programmed in the macro--can I bump the submaster with a macro?
  • MIDI notes 60 through 83 are Submaster bump keys 1 thru 24
    (MIDI Middle C and upwards)

If I remember correctly, Express(ion) reacts to both the Note On and Note Off commands, although velocity is ignored.

This means that you can send a Note On command to hold down a bump button, and the Note Off to release it.
    Optionally, you can program an associated fade if you don't want the levels to snap.

Remember that you can have Pile-On, Inhibitive and Effect submasters, if you want to combine things in different ways, and that you can fire Macros to change sub page and sub modes.

With regards to terminology:

"Stacking" cues generally means "Playing cues one after another in a cuelist" - so only one cue is ever fully active at a given moment. While you often are fading between various cues, only one cue can have all levels at the programmed values. The others are either fading in or fading out.

"Pile-On" means "Channel(s) get levels from multiple sources (eg submasters, cuelists, channel faders), and they are output at the highest level of all those sources."

[edited by: Richard at 9:00 AM (GMT -6) on Mon, May 26 2008]
  • MIDI notes 60 through 83 are Submaster bump keys 1 thru 24
    (MIDI Middle C and upwards)

If I remember correctly, Express(ion) reacts to both the Note On and Note Off commands, although velocity is ignored.

This means that you can send a Note On command to hold down a bump button, and the Note Off to release it.
    Optionally, you can program an associated fade if you don't want the levels to snap.

Remember that you can have Pile-On, Inhibitive and Effect submasters, if you want to combine things in different ways, and that you can fire Macros to change sub page and sub modes.

With regards to terminology:

"Stacking" cues generally means "Playing cues one after another in a cuelist" - so only one cue is ever fully active at a given moment. While you often are fading between various cues, only one cue can have all levels at the programmed values. The others are either fading in or fading out.

"Pile-On" means "Channel(s) get levels from multiple sources (eg submasters, cuelists, channel faders), and they are output at the highest level of all those sources."

[edited by: Richard at 9:00 AM (GMT -6) on Mon, May 26 2008]
Children
No Data
Related