System time won't stay set.

I have an Expression 2x that is close to 20 years old and it won't keep accurate time on the clock shown on the screen.   It is always wrong at startup, so I reset it to the correct time, which works until you power down the console.   Upon restart if more than a minute has passed, the clock will be incorrect.  Is there a user serviceable battery that can be replaced to help the Expression 2x keep the time accurately.  

• If it’s just the time that gets lost then you need to replace the Smartwatch IC, ETC part number Z534 (This is for Exp3 but I’m pretty certain it’s the same thing for Exp2).

The chip is hidden underneath the channel count chip so you’d need to be ok removing that first. See below (once again for EXPN3)

ETC can most certainly provide this repair for you.

The memory is held by two caps.

• I believe that on the Expression 2x (either "Universal" or "Pre-Universal"), there are only soldered-on capacitors to keep the clock time.  I would recommend working with your local ETC Service Center to see about diagnosing those and possibly replacing them.

The Expression 3 console either has these same capacitors, or may have a battery / battery holder, depending on its generation and which SRAM chips are installed on the CPU board.

• If I remember correctly (won't be the first time I'm really way off base...)

Somewhere in the expression line (expression 1? 2? 3?) there was a hybrid Dallas (now Maxim) sRAM/Battery combo chip that was use (24 pin dip ~1mm tall block ).  DS1220Y comes to mind...but that may be from a different device I used to service.  It should still be a DSxxxxx. I believe it is an obsolete part now.  The last time I sourced one it was sampled to me by Maxim because Maxim didn't have it as a part anymore. Things may have changed since then..

I've thought about pulling the sRAM out of the package and piggy-backing a battery, but I haven't needed to deal with recently so I haven't tried yet.

• Depending on the age of your desk it is either a battery or a supercapacitor. Before you bust out the tools, try this. Plug your console in and turn it on for 24-48 hours. Then reboot and see if it keeps time If it does, that was your problem. If it does not, you are looking at a replacement. Your solder skills should be your measure of whether you want to accomplish this yourself or if you want to involve a service center. IRRD, this is either a thru-hole solder part which is pretty easy if you are skilled and have a fine point tool or a surface mount chip which requires expert level solder skills and some specialized tools. If you can open your desk and take a picture of the left-hand side we can get a better idea of what you have.  Also on that left-hand board will be a sticker with a part number (41 something) and a revision. That will help.

• I was thinking about the Show memory in my initial reply (as I think are and ) - I didn't know (until speaking with our crack Repairs group) that the clock runs on a wholly-separate RTC module, not related to show memory,

That Support Article was made partially as a result of your question.

Long-story short, there is no easy solution to this problem.

Sorry for the trouble.

Related