Obsession 2 Effects

I’ve made a series of groups (not Focus groups) that contain positional information for some movers. I’ve then put each group into a step of an effect. My question is, does the effect refer to the group as a reference each time the effect is played.

I.e. if I change the group, will that automatically update the effect? I know the O2 doesn’t do this for cues etc but I wondered if effects were different.

Ta

• Yes, the effect does in fact reference subsequent changes to the group.  There was a bug at some point which required an effect on a sub to be reloaded before the group change took effect, but I believe that's sorted.  Also, I haven't checked this, but as I recall, this was true on Obsession 1 as well.

One small point to make about Focus Groups, though.  When you said you'd made a series of Groups, you made a distinction between groups and focus groups, there isn't really any.  In other words, if you [(Record)(Focus Group) 1] or you [(Record)(Group) 1]  you end up recording Group 1.  The only difference is that [Record Focus Group] will record hard zeroes for channels at zero, rather than just recording nothing.

To give an abbreviated rant, I've always felt that "Focus Group" was a bad choice in names, it has, for the past 10 years, caused confusion as people expect focus groups to be a separate entity.  If the feature (and button) had been called "Link to Group" I think it would have made more sense.

-Victor

• That’s great. Thanks for that. That will save me lots of time in tech today.

I have no problem with the term focus groups because, as you say, it records zeros – quite important when recording any attribute information… or any focus.

However, in my poor experience I had written off focus groups as if you send a fixture to a focus group and that light isn’t in the group then it puts every attribute to zero. That was a bad day. I’ve since learnt to use the syntax of @ Group n whether it was recorded as a group or a focus group.  

Perhaps we should rename it ‘Groups but with the added bonus of having Zeros’.

Thanks again

Related